EFI engine idling high and surging on return to idle

Lump

I've replaced the V8 in my car with a later model jaguar inline 6 (AJ6 from an XJ40 or XJS)

I've got it running and have been for a few test drives, its runs great except for a few idling problems

1) Engine idles at 1100 cold and 1000 hot (the tach is calibrated for a V8 so I'm guessing thats about 1400 and 1250 actual - should be around 900 and 700)

2) When reved from idle the engine will return to idle then rise to about 1500 and then slowly return to idle again. If I disconnect the idle stepper control motor - the base idle will be 1500 but when reved it will still drop to around 1000 and rise back to 1500 and stay there.

So far I've checked the throttle position sensor (OK) the throttle butterfly opening (OK) the MAF sensor (faulty and replaced but no improvement). The ignition is controlled by the ecu from a crank position sensor (could a badly positioned distributor cause this?)

I have found out how to reset the idle speed but I get the feeling its a symptom rather than a cause - any ideas on what I should be checking out?

I would guess a vacuum leak.

Get a hose and with the car idling listen through the hose to different points around the intake and associated hoses, you will be able to hear the sucking quite clearly where there is a leak.

Another way of finding a leak I have heard is by spraying carb cleaner(?) on the different gasket joints etc in the manifold and the revs will rise if it sucks the cleaner through. (Haven't tried this one myself)

Another way of finding a leak I have heard is by spraying carb cleaner(?) on the different gasket joints etc in the manifold and the revs will rise if it sucks the cleaner through. (Haven't tried this one myself)

Use engine start, carb cleaner wont do much unless its a big leak, in which case it'll die.

Well I've had no luck finding any vacuum leaks - either just by listening or with a can of starting fluid , I've also cleaned out the idle stepper motor without any effect.

I'll try re-setting the base idle and see if that fixes anything

I have no idea about your specific EFI setup, but with allot of EFI setups the ECU needs to be wired in a way that it controls the relay for the stepper motor. This is to be sure that the motor is always set at a reference point the next time the car is started. Something to check anyway

I have no idea about your specific EFI setup, but with allot of EFI setups the ECU needs to be wired in a way that it controls the relay for the stepper motor. This is to be sure that the motor is always set at a reference point the next time the car is started. Something to check anyway

I don't think its the wiring to the stepper motor as its all part of the the engine loom - which is nicely standalone on these vehicles.

I set the base idle as low as possible this morning (about 1000 rpms - rev counter recalibrated, should be lower but it wouldn't go lower) but the single surge on returning to idle is still present :?

There is another air valve on the inlet manifold similar to the stepper motor, it has two coolant feeds running to it which I assume open or close a valve depending on there temp. I can lower the idle by pinching the air hoses leading to this. I can't find this thing mentioned in the manual - does anyone know what its called? - and will messing with it help?

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the suggestions guys, a few days after resetting the idle speed it stopped its surging behaviour. so i guess the ecu has figured out what its trying to do with the engine speed.

Its still idling a bit high so I'm going to get someone to have a look at it this week.

Big plus though it that it passed it cert test this week, so I'm just waiting for the plate to arrive to get a new warrant on it

Basically it lost all forward and reverse gears. I think the internal pump was the problem (fluid level doesn't drop when gears are selected). I already had most of the bits I needed for my engine swap when it blew so I didn't investigate it too closely