Low but with cushy ride

keltik

I know its not old school but its regarding getting max low - and this place seems good at that.

Wondering how i can get my wagon back to low spec but whilst keeping the ride quality. Have used Tein coilovers in the past and they were really good - but a bit too bumpy. Travel isnt a problem since the rear arches have metric tonnes of room and im sure the front are accommodating. Have also driven a wagon with Cusco coilovers and they were really hard.

Would love to just shorten the strut and run inserts BUT its one of those silly single piece twin tube Bilstein struts. Macpherson front struts with multi-link rear running coilover shocks. Roll center adjusters are easy to come by so not too worried about geometry. It handled well when low last time.

Thoughts?

to keep it cushy you have to retain decent shock travel (before it hits bumps/part of the car), so by lowering, you will somehow have to create extra travel if you want to keep the cushyness. obviusly you could settle for meduim cushyness with shorter travel, but you cant have shirt travel and the same cushyness otherwise you will just bottom out (in terms of shock travel)

but yeh, just stop being a wuss.

Yeah but my point is, even with it low - theres still enough travel in the shocks for a soft spring. I guess one solution would be a progressive wound spring but fuck knows where i'd get some made. The fronts are the only issue - the back is dead easy.

What's on the front currently? bilstein macphersons? and springs are stock?

If the shock itself has enough travel when low, then like beaver says a shorter spring with the same/simialr k value as full height stock springs should do it. (In my mind anyway). IE same stiffness as factory but shorter, (so they would be less stiff than cutties)

UJ had a good link to a supplier of springs, or talk to someone like Snell's or equivialent.

Yea all you needed do with those tiens (Or any other adjustable coilover setup you buy) is figure out the spring rate and go to a softer srping, and keep the adjusters on the shocks on soft. Go with decent adjustables so you can drop the car and keep suspension travel, then just dial in the spring rates to suit. To soft and slammed and your car will be a piece of shit with passengers

So they are full adjustable shocks? just because they were expensive doesn't mean they will work well with the springs you want to use. Also using a progressive lowering spring is not really the way to go all you are going to do is loosing travel. Get some adjustable coilovers, that adjust by winding the shock housing down into the mounting. Tien are known for being super firm so get something known to be softer (then the shock valving will better match your softer springs), you can then buy all sorts of progressive springs in common adjustable coilover sizes from kings etc