Toyota 12R - general all round cunt.

Vintage Grumble

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reset clearances with a set of feeler gauges I could read, and it now runs perfectly, and no longer sounds like a diesel/mitsy. And some how the two valves that had no clearance at all yezday, are happy as now?? Compression on all cylinders is back to acceptable levels also. THANK GOODNESS FOR THAT.

Yeh, came pretty damn close to biffing motor into the drain across the road TBH, but alas, it was just me being useless.

Nah, it was weird because the push rod was loose as a goose, meaning it cant of been on the cam. It was like the rocker couldnt go back up enough to clear the valve/the valve was coming up too far?

Well this started and drove perfectly to work, but has decided it wont idle now and then, and then when it will idle it will idle high, sometimes if you give the gas a stab it will then settle down to the correct idle speed. Meh, good motivation to finish car so I can chuck this motor in a drain and slap in v8 of EFI awesomeness.

• 2 months later...

WELLLLLLL this started being a cunt again, idleing super low, missing, and being gutless. So this time I started by doing a comp test annnnnnnnd:

1 = 60 psi

2 = 150 psi

3 = 5 psi

4 = 150 psi

So in less than 3 months, its hard cone lost compression on 1 and 3 again, this thing seems to be suffering from the worst case of valve recession in recorded history. I've pretty much run out of adjustment, which is gay. I also scrapped the whole old motor, so no spare head, which is gay. I also need this to get to work, which is gay.

I've had to tinker with this motor every two weeks for the last 6 or so months, (SOOOOO glad I got the v8) but cant start the conversion until the 86 is finished/out of the shed, so im thinking I may park this up, and buy a cheap/semi modern/EFI car to get to work in until the conversion is complete, cant be arsed spending money on/fixing a motor that belongs in a drain.

Nah but in all seriousness, could pay to whip the head off and have a squiz. See just how fucked things are? Massive valve seat recession should be obvious otherwise you can start looking in other areas. Head gaskets are cheap and this thing is pushrod, so how hard can it be?

Yeh, but I dont want to pay to have new valve seats put in, because in a few months the motor will be coming out. Like I said, I have to get something to get to work in while the transplant is being done, so I'll just buy said daily a bit sooner. (I have my eye on something, that may also become a track car way down the line)

I'll have another go at resetting the clearance on the weekend, but doubt I will have enough clearance/adjustment to do so.