Toyota 12R - general all round cunt.

Vintage Grumble

Hi! The old 12R has a problem, at open road speeds it surges slightly, and it has decided it wont idle at all, and choke seems to have no effect when cold. what is the most likely cause of this? Just a bit of shit in a jet? I tried winding the idle up a fair bit to get it to run, and it will start with a bit of welly, and run at a high idle, but fades out an dies after about 20secs, does this everytime.

It was running fine, but over a week or so, the idle got lower and lower until it would cut out, and it starter a gentle surge'in on the open road, so I changed to my back up carb, it then ran swell for one day, now its started to do the same as before, but much worse. I'm 99% sure its carb related, as all the electrics check out A O KAY.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Replace them mate - symptoms sound to me like a shitty condensor..

(they should always be replaced as a pair and they shouldn't cost more than $30 to buy)

Also get J5 to install while yelling instructions to him through a large road cone - I find its an effective motivator to get it right the first time.

Yea do that spark system first, get it tip top. Then make sure you dont have any vacuum leaks, then hit that carb

Get a kit for it before you do, as there's a high chance it will be due for a needle, accelerator pump and chances are the gaskets wont come apart well. Also check out the primary throttle shaft, 99% of old carbs are worn out in the throttle shaft bushes

Also soak it real good in carb cleaner over night and blow every passage out with air after, use tight fitting screw drivers (grind them down if you have to) or you will fuck a jet/something

Ok, rebuilt the carb, fitted it, still runs like shit. Fit new points + condensor, still runs like shit, re-check fuel flow/timing/dizzy weights/make sure theres good spark and check plugs, still runs like shit. Go to father inlaws and check compression:

Mother fucker.

Go home, reset the tappet clearances, two valves have no clearance even with the adjuster backed rite off tho, start it up, sounds like a fucked diesel but runs/idles sweet as, just a bit gutless. Just waiting for someone to come round so I can recheck comp. Fucked if im taking the head off, it can stay as is regardless of compression TBH. I'm guessing the two bung valves have suffered "valve seat recession" ??