what 4wd gearbox to use

michael0008

hey recently decided to convert my klze 2.5L v6 in my mazda bfmp to 4wd using bfmr rear subframe and evo 5 gearbox but the transfer was too big and hit the block on the v6 :( so im looking for another gearbox that can take a hamming and has the transfer further back ,anyone know of a good candid? was looking at a st185 but doesn't look like it will work

• 4 weeks later...

tried a st185 and transfer was in the way again also tried a evo 1-3 gearbox but engine would have to be on a mean angle :?

anyone else got a suggest for another gearbox?

and im stay away from the gtx box as thats just made of glass :lol: um theres only one mazda that come out v6 and 4wd that i know of and thats auto...

its because the transfer hits the block but can clear if the engine is turned so the back cyl head is nearly straight up , then the transfer isn't in the way

im making a adapter plate any way so can set it to any angle but that would not work as it wouldn't fit in the engine bay :lol:

never want to touch a gtx gearbox there just too weak and don't really want to spend 15k just making so it can handle some power

ah I forgot it was V6 haha. Is the GTX box really that bad? Are you going to turbocharge the V6? If not the reality is the V6 would make similar power but less over-all torque than the GTX engine. So long as you aren't brutal on the box I'm sure it would last a while.

I thought about turning the motor in a GTX around 90 deg with an mx5 box for a while.

GTXs with blown up gearboxes were just about giveaway cheap for a while.

Sorry off topic though.

Mates done this. Started with a early 80s front wheel drive 323 wagon. Now has turbo gtx motor turned rwd with mx5 box and narrowed skyline rear end with 17x8 and 17x10s.

Defintiely off topic.

Are all the mitsi v64wd boxes the wrong way? a la v6 vr4s.

What about Those 4 motion vw V6's?

GTO and 2.0L 92-96 V6 VR-4 have the box on the drivers side of the car, while the 2.5L 1996-2002 V6 VR-4 is on the passengers side of the engine bay just like the Mazda layout, however that box is essentially the same as the Evo4-7 box in terms of size and it seems the transfer case/front diff assembly fouls on the Mazda V6 block.

What about Those 4 motion vw V6's?

4 motion volkwagen box might be worth looking into, will be spendy though. Also there are 2 types of transverse vw boxes, one with a viscous centre coupling (syncro) and one with a computer controlled one. (haldex)

Off the top of my head a 4motion golf box will be viscous, audi s3, tt, and r32 golf will be electronic.