Archetype's Pro7 Mazda RX-7 race car

Archetype

doesn't take much to road register a race car even if it doesn't have compliance. there is a loop hole for competition cars to be road reigstered - just need to get it sorted with a authority card and the right paperwork from msnz to ltsa.. 

cars looking good too btw. 

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be easy if I had been aware of this before my rollcage was built:

(d) Removal of a Manufacturer Occupant Protection System (MOPS): from a vehicle (primarily used for motor sport competitions) may be authorised under the Authority Card system. The vehicle shall be fitted with and comply with the following:
(ii) A minimum Safety Cage as per diagrams 8.3(6)(d) below incorporating forward reinforcements (terminating at a substantial structure such as the suspension strut tower) in full compliance with this Schedule.

rollcage_forward_reinforcement.jpg

My rollcage doesn't extend to the strut towers.  :x

Additional wiring for lights, indicators, etc, a set of road wheels and tyres, motorsport authority card ($66), then just your usual WOF/rego after that I think.

I'd probably do it while the engine was out between seasons anyway. Better get onto it soon if I want it running again for Round 1 later in the year.

lights are easy, just run the 7 core trailer cabling, keeps it tidy as.

this is what we ran in a mates laurel drift whore that he was gonna road reg.

if you want a hella headlight switch ive got one sitting here doing nothing..

LOL

We are too scared to weigh our mustang. would be no fear of it going under that limit though haha

Still has all the door steel, side intrusion bars, electric windows, glass etc. The thing is a tank.

FDs are around the 1280kg mark from factory, some of the light weight editions were 1180kg.

I don't think it would be hard to get one under the 1100kg mark if you had the $$ to do it.

If you could make a carbon fiber tub for them they would hit sub 1000kg / day dreaming.

That includes my weight too though, so minus 87kg = 1063kg for the car.

One time I weighed the car at Manfeild after a few test laps and it was 1132kg from memory. I then ran out of fuel as I was pulling into my pit area, so that gave me a good idea of what the car weighs with an empty tank.

There are a few things I could do to drop the weight further if necessary - lose the extra seat, trim the door inners a bit, replace the windows with polycarbonate/lexan, and swap the heavy steel hatch for a fibreglass one.

I don't think it would be hard to get one under the 1100kg mark if you had the $$ to do it.

If you could make a carbon fiber tub for them they would hit sub 1000kg / day dreaming.

man you talk some crap :lol:

Brent, when you weigh the car at the track is it with corner weights? How do these cars balance up? I imagine there'd be a little bit of time in getting it as close to 25% on each corner as possible, which probably wouldn't be too hard if you are already under the minimum weight and haven't even removed glass or cut up the hatch. You could pull some weight out of the body of the car, then remove as much weight out of the front and add ballast low and towards the back of the car.

It's due to the fact all the panels in the front are aluminium, and there's bugger all metal in front of the firewall excluding the motor.

The engines are mounted far back in the engine bay and the gearbox is between the front seats pretty much.

The rear body has a shitload of steel in it, along with a heavy subframe, and they have a big rear overhang compared to the front.

Rear hatch is also damn heavy, with the bonnet weighing next to nothing.