odd vibrations in car

Beaver

hey all.

The trump has started this strange vibration that is getting worse. Ive only noticed it since I lowered it, which also happened to be the same time the new wheels went ont.

it only happens above about 70km and is not noticibly different at different speeds above this. it starts of small then gets bigger and then dissapears for 5-10 seconds, then starts again, gets bigger, then dissapears again etc etc. seems pretty consistent it terms of size of vibration and how long it happens for and how long untill it returns.

its a shudder/vibration that feels drivetrainsh, although it also comes through the steering wheel. others in the car notice it as well.

any thoughts as to what would be causing it? im presuming its related to being lowered, but its strange how it comes and goes, and when its gone, its perfectly smooth.

as the trump is independent rear, the driveshaft angle hasnt changed, but the rear axles have (which have ujs). ill try have a nosey at these and look far any play etc, but anywhere else I should be looking?

will probably have to get parts from the uk, so dont just want to go replacing everything willy nilly

cheers

Did you have the wheels balanced before putting them on? Same thing happened on my Gf's car when we put a new set of wheels on, at higher speeds the drivetrain was shuddering like crazy and the steering wheel was rocking real bad. Just needed to get the wheels balanced and the problem was ressolved.

yeh wheels have been balanced. its getting worse, so I dont think its the wheels, as I cant see how they would get worse over time. might try the original wheels though just to confirm its not the new ones

how old are the tyres/ how long have they been on the rims??

mate had this issue on a A12 Morrie thou, wheels were balanced, but wern't running true. fitted new tyres to that axle and problem fixed.

Make sure the rear driveshafts are well greased - they will have slides in them to allow the driveshaft to shorten/lengthen as the suspension travels.

If they are dry they can cause this type of problem.

Also make sure the driveshaft slides have not bottomed out or are close to bottoming out of travel. Lowering the car would have quite substansially changed this length.

would only be an issue if they werent located properly, it wouldnt matter if the hole wasnt quite centered properly I as it could be sorted with balancing

Nope. It doesn't work like that at speed.

If there is play between the rim and the hub spigot the wheels move around on the studs once the centrifugal forces increase. It isn't such a problem on the rear wheels, but will certainly give a vibration through the front wheels. The vibration will come and go as the wheels flail around on the studs (or bolts)

so if it does turn out to be the wheels not locating properly and "flailing" (made me lol), then Il need to get some locating rings (or whatever to he cool kids call them) made up yeh?

it does make sense, as something needs to change for the vibrations to stop etc, and your theory would explain it perfectly UJ

Also make sure the driveshaft slides have not bottomed out or are close to bottoming out of travel. Lowering the car would have quite substansially changed this length.

Lowering shouldnt have effected/affected the driveshaft as the head wouldnt have moved being IRS and all