Llama's 1972 MG BGT

Llama

My first priority is to get the drive gear in working order. Notably the dizzy needs replacing, might need a new syncro ring for the gearbox, and the carbs need a good cleanup.

Second is to get the dash sorted out, as pretty much nothing aside from the headlights work, and there's wires and weird shit from all over the place (I think possibly someone attempted a electric window conversion?)

Then, the plan is to convert to a V6 or V8 of some description. The buick aluminum V8 is pretty popular from what I've heard, but I have seen one example that took a M series from a supra, and that looks way more fun :D

P.S. are the pics on the project too big?

Why america for a dizzy? Heaps around locally, I'm looking at a box of them here

RP%20O%20engine.jpg

http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/upgrades4mgs/Engines/fitting_the_t_series.htm

Do this, get 2.2 Turbo version from a Tomcat and boost it up, easy conversion, the V8 conversion is a prick of a thing, trust me. I have done a couple for customer's, one still uncompleted after 6 years as rails, floor and transmission tunnel and boot floor need modification to make it work properly.

Cool car dude, big fan of the mighty B

Yeah those dizzys are all over the show.

Honestly if you need parts there are multiple places to get bits - off the top of my head

Auckland - Paul Walbran Motors - www.mgparts.co.nz

Wellington - Ray Hartley Motors

There will be plenty other places too as these are most probably the most common "classic car" in NZ

(other than Mustangs and Corvettes which aren't really classic IMO - LOL)

Then, the plan is to convert to a V6 or V8 of some description. The buick aluminum V8 is pretty popular from what I've heard, but I have seen one example that took a M series from a supra, and that looks way more fun :D

I'm sure its been done but I wouldn't think an M series would make a lot of sense. The factory had to make all kinds of suspension changes to fit the C series in and even then it needed the bonnet bulge (which looks tougher anyway). No idea how big an M series is compared to a C but Id stick with a 4 cylinder or a V or some description.

Hey what a bloody choice first car! Yeah- everything is available new for these eh including brand new shells. I have always liked these since when a lad and local petrol station owner had one parked outside his work.

I too would stick with a shorter engine- like a 4 or 8 so keeping the weight back.

Loving that dizzy bodge.

Yeah, it's great being able to get new parts, and I stop by at pauls for odds and ends regularly. Dizzy I'm getting from america as I got a sweet deal with the exchange rate at the moment, and I don't mind waiting for a bit.

I suppose I really should swap out for a 5 speed if I'm getting a new engine too, although I do love driving with the dash-mounted overdrive switch.

The switches fuck out on them regularly and are hard to find - so I'm guessing

A: has had a conversion and they didn't have the right gearlever.

or

B: the gearknob mounted switch fucked out and couldn't find a replacement...

According to Paul the aussie manufactured cars used up whatever was left over from old kits in newer cars, which also explains why I have the mechanical temperature gauge (which got phased out ~1969). Cheap bastards.

Will any old auto-electrician be able to sell me replacement wires? As you can see from the photos my overdrive circut is a little dodge, and I'd like to keep the wiring the right colours for my (and the next owners) sanity.

• 3 months later...

Gearbox out is an engine and box combo job - bloody crossmembers won't let you do it any other way unless you cut it out and then it is still a prick to get to the bellhousing bolts..

Anyway it much easier to pull the whole lot out TBH.. I could get them out in 60-90 minutes when I was working on MGB's every day. Engine and box back in was about 3 hours from starting the job to driving out the door finished.

If you allow half a day to pull it out (taking your time) and a full day to put it back in you should be all good. (not sure of your mechanical experience sorry)

• 2 weeks later...
Gearbox out is an engine and box combo job - bloody crossmembers won't let you do it any other way unless you cut it out and then it is still a prick to get to the bellhousing bolts..

Anyway it much easier to pull the whole lot out TBH.. I could get them out in 60-90 minutes when I was working on MGB's every day. Engine and box back in was about 3 hours from starting the job to driving out the door finished.

If you allow half a day to pull it out (taking your time) and a full day to put it back in you should be all good. (not sure of your mechanical experience sorry)

Yeah, so I've heard... mechanical experience somewhat limited to google and what I've already done, but I'm pretty sure we have most of what we need. At least I have a new bike to keep me mobile if it takes longer.

I can always bribe someone to come over with a beer or 6.

And yes to overdrive. The switch gives you the greatest feeling on the motorway :D

Found out today that it is actually a '72, probably one of the first ones with the honeycomb rather than inset grill.

Pity I can't get the rego changed, could do with the cheap rego from next year rather than in 2016

• 2 weeks later...