Auckland Boes: Anyone looking for workshop space?

In short I am keen to sort something for the end of this month/early august. If there aren't enough players on board I will end up doing something else

Prices are based on number of car spots, as you can see I have allocated a loose sqm per spot, which is reasonably generous for most cars, but the key is to be flexible.

Cars most likely to need access in and out would be at the front and others at the back, will probably need to get a set of dollies to play car tetris

There's no room for negative nelly's though - there tends to only be one door so you may well be asked to move your car on occassion. There should be enough space in what I have allocated to allow for a fair bit of jiggling, but yeah, long term axle stand projects can sit at the back.

I am happy to share tools that I leave so long as they are treated with respect, have welder and compressor that would like leave behind. Everyone should have enough spanners and sockets that muddling them up doesnt need to happen.

Workbenches all depends on whats there man, can't predict what will happen there.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had it fine at Pinkys - we left a set of keys for each car in an undisclosed location on-site and then text each other to find out what their plans were in regards to taking up communal room. We could only get out 2 cars without having to move other cars. To be honest unless you are willing to have a huge communal area for driving in and out (and that is a LOT of wasted rent) or finding a place with multiple roller doors then there is no way to avoid this.

However unless you have someone who is constantly working on their car as a project they drive all the time but with heaps of major jobs then the few times that it inconveniences it's not really that bad - and good planning generally avoids that. We had workshop nights together and the times that we were working on our own shit on our lonesome was fuck all - because we were lazy I guess but I think you are overanalyzing it thinking you will be getting in each others grille on a regular enough basis to make it that much of a pain.

Biggest pain was people leaving half done stuff or the remnants of bench projects in the way of shared benches and not knowing what can be thrown out or needs to be kept - people borrowing tools and not putting them back was a bit of a pain too. Both of these things can be mitigated by not sharing tools and having your own workbench.

If you think you need to have access to your car at ALL times without having to move someones car and unable to leave a key to have your car moved for you, then you are a totally undesirable workshop sharer so you should look for your own place.

• Like 1

yes/no. I'm currently in a house thats costing me $280 a week for my room and the double garage. More a pipe dream ATM but would like workshop space and find a cheaper house. Not gonna happen in the next month like you want though sorry

^ that's pretty sweet

Pretty keen to make this work

We have myself, Ed and corbie as interested parties atm - anyone else? We need one other to make a 107m2 place stack up financially (about $45 for an 18m2 spot) or two others at $45 a spot for 23m2 at Henderson

If your interested I'd be keen for one spot? Just to keep my ae85 project out of the rain etc... And whats the story like for power etc? As I know my old man has been looking for somewhere to set up a bench to make shit.. (he's a carpenter) and if thats sweet i'll talk to him about paying for two spots? One for me, one for him? Obviously just automatic payments coming out each week. But who's name would it be under etc etc.

Re AP's/leases/power, dunno yet, the way I have done things in the past is set up a cheap/free bank account with kiwibank that we all put an AP into, and then that AP's out to the landlord

Power will probably be on a "yeah I was doing work so will chip in for power" per month basis - that way guys just storing shit won't be lumped with the cost - maybe there'd be a base cost for fixed power costs we split then chip in the difference. Not sure.

That arrangement could work out man.

suggest we arrange a meet to put so we can all put faces to names etc - maybe just at burgerboes and have a good yarn about it?

Sweet, i'll talk to him tonight and see if he still wants some place like that. 

Otherwise i'd be interested in a slot to keep my car. But i'd prefer if it were out West. As myself and mechanic is out here in Ranui - so practically only up the hill from that one.

am more than happy to chip in my fair share for space & power ect

the job is a full rebuild on aw11 mr2 so it will be in & out a bit for sand blasting priming ect but no messy dusty work will be done in workshop unless ok with other users

any heads up on space for me would be very cool thanks

househunting eats dick when you're a single GC up against all these lovestruck double income couples preparing a nest. while i take some joy from the knowledge it will end in shite for over 50% of them it doesn't help me win in my battle to find an affordable double garage and some form of house.

If you're looking towards the end of the month I'd be probably keen on a minimum 3month spot if it's around (ideally under) $200 month.