Rose Joint Life

zep

Hey guys,

The ladder bar which secures the diff in my car to the chassis is fully rose jointed, 2 on the diff and 1 on the chassis mount/x-member. The diff has started to get real clunky and it's obvious movement in the mounting components. I haven't yet checked to make sure everything is nice and tight but I'm wondering how long these rose joints should last for and whether or not they warrant replacing? I'd say they've been on there for about 4 years now. Thrashing, etc.

Brad, was it you I was talking to about this? Someone said that rose joints don't last that long...

Chuuurs

The proper teflon lined ones can be expensive, but there is two places in Auckland (cant remember the names sorry) that do a lot of american motorsport stuff, they sell good quality ones pretty cheap, say $30.00ea rather than $200.00ea. And they will last a shit load longer if you can keep then clean and dry.

Sounds like a good plan. Now to find some new ones for not too much ;)

If you find some decent quality ones like nzdamae86 mentioned above for cheap can you flick me the details. I'm going to be making up some lower arms for my racecar soon and getting onto some cheap rosejoints will be awesome. Just need to figure out what diameter I need. If you could also see if they supply pillow ball/spherical bearing mounts and a price on those.

Say you're from a race car, wear out quickly - rose joint life?

P.S. When going through its travel, the end of one or more of your suspension arms effectively needs to get slightly shorter or longer, and this is change in length is normally allowed for by the rubber bushes.

When you rosejoint everything, it forces all of the arms stay the exact same length, so stuff breaks instead when the suspension goes through its travel. (diff mounts and chassis mounts)

Think about what happens when a 4 link suspension needs to allow for body roll... I'm pretty sure a top left and a bottom right suspension arm (or vice versa) need to increase or decrease in length slightly to allow this to happen.

One problem with pricing them through industrial places is they will (or should) price top shelf ones for automotive/aerospace usage, the only ones I could get through the bearing company I used to work for that would be safe to use/last a while were Fluro brand, and they are farking pricey, like $2-$300 each for a 16/20mm one.

The ones I found that were fairly cheap, were made for motorsport, so met all the standards and shit. One of the places was Cardwells/Etchells I think, and the other was "something" motorsports? Will get a hold of my mate and find out soon.