Diff? Shudder When Cold

coldturkey

My car has developed a diff(?) shudder and its getting worse.

It only does it when cold, and only when taking off from a standstill. The whole car shakes until I get moving.

If I ride the clutch heaps it doesn't do it, but I dont really want to ride my clutch so much.

I changed the diff oil, and its still getting worse. I know there may not be much that I can easily do to solve this, but I kind of want to know what to expect down the line. Failure?

Could it be the clutch or gearbox?

It will be a high spot on the flywheel. It is strange that it gets better when warm, but I still reckon that is what it is. You may have a leaking rear main seal (crankshaft seal) which could POSSIBLY explain the change in behavior after the car is warm

You need a new clutch and the flywheel machined (which used to be done free by BNT when you bought a new clutch kit), and possibly a rear main seal. None of that stuff is expensive on an average OS car, but depending on the vehicle you may have to drop the sump and crank a bit to do the seal.

You asked what bad thing will happen if you keep driving it: Not much really. You will shag your engine and gearbox mounts and then one day your motor will jump forward and put the fan through the radiator.... but this could take quite a while, in which time Hunted will have bought and sold 32 different English OS cars, finished none of them, gotten thrown out of four flats, moved to Hastings, gotten a tattoo, started dating vegetarian men and breeding rainbow lorikeetes (so - several weeks at least)

EDIT: The above assumes an OS RWD. You haven't said.

loled^

Yeah once you have driven it for a bit it will be sweet all day, only seems to be when it has sat for a day or more.

Its my viva, so yes, OS, RWD, and british :D

Don't think my rear main seal is leaking, though I suppose it could be.

Dont know if I can be assed pulling the gearbox off .... Could just try change driveshaft I suppose, if not then I guess it is the flywheel. But with this kinda stuff I thought I would have more symptoms all the time

Definitly clutch! Will bet my sack on it. had the exact same symptoms on an old car and our newer one.

Will be a combination of bung flywheel and warn out plate.

Our wrx had mad shudder when cold, would dissapere when hot, only fix was machining the flywheel and a new clutch, still had slight shudder on new clutch until it bed into the flywheel properly and is now mint. Still a gay cunt of a car though.

Heard of myth of riding the Holley shit out of the clutch may help to try and wear off gay spot, but doubt that would work

Useless info that probably won't help

Thanks for that. I suppose there is no harm in riding the clutch for a while on take off until I need to replace the clutch anyway. Then I can get flyhwheel skimmed, and problem solved!

Apart from glazing it until it starts slipping all the time. It a clutch/flywheel for sure although other causes can be that your thrust ring(on the crank) is worn and it makes it ten times worse as the crank has end movement. Shit loads of manuals have this problem, as mentioned the gearbox mount is another prime example that makes the shudder worse which is the first thing i would check.

Its my viva, so yes, OS, RWD, and british :D

Don't think my rear main seal is leaking, though I suppose it could be.

LOL it's a Viva - like any good British car the rear main seal was only good for keeping the oil off the showroom floor when new, as soon as it was sold and driven up the road the seal died and oil spewed forth.

Sounds like clutch. I've had many a Viva/Chevette with clutch problems. They were bad for clutch problems. But at least the electrics usually kept going unlike other cars of that era, they would start and idle before you realised you weren't going anywhere... :rolleyes:

obviously a leaking rear main seal is a feature to help with clutch issues...duh

well tbh, I havent really done much further investigation cause I am lazy, but the problem is there and I have been dealing with it.

If I was going to do the clutch in it then I may aswell engine transplant :D

Drive it till it dies and 2zz?

obviously a leaking rear main seal is a feature to help with clutch issues...duh

well tbh, I havent really done much further investigation cause I am lazy, but the problem is there and I have been dealing with it.

If I was going to do the clutch in it then I may aswell engine transplant :D

Drive it till it dies and 2zz?

in my experiance a leaking rear main will do shit all unless it REAL bad , if the crank dont fling the oil away the flywheel will .

In saying that im with kk , it will be all sorts of awesome high spots on the flywheel from misc overheating, get siad flywheel machined and look for discouloration on mating face , this is where siad overheating has happened . dont worry about it because it happens to everything cast.

Just smile pay for the bill and realise that whoever drove the vehicle at some point has slipped the clutch a bit tooo much over its lifetime and be gracious its not the rods hanging out the side of the block