How do I tell a mazda 2Lt and 1.6lt apart?

lou

I bought my B1600 with the assumption it had a 1600 in it. Well I bought some new leads today as the originals where missmatched

and it didnt run 100%.

While installing them I noticed that the Block had 'MA' stamped on it. I thought it was a bit funny as the engine should be an 'NA'.

I checked with Kicker as to what his had stamped on it and sure enough he has 'NA'.

I know the engine in there has ha a rebuild so I thought maybe they used a MA block (My understanind is that the NA is a destroked MA).

Now the leads didnt seem to do jack shit, so I decided to pull the plugs out. The were pretty dirty so I went into ripco to get some replacements.

They asked for my plates and came back with NGK BP6ES plugs. Funny, I pulled out NGK BP4ES. I got them to search what plugs suited the 626 MA 2Lt

And sure enough it was the BP4ES's.

So is there any other way for me to double check that it is infact a MA?

Is it possible that it was rebuild with the MA block and someone just installed the wrong plugs?

only difference between BP4ES and BP6ES is the heat range, the BP4ES plugs will run a bit cooler. On an engine meant to run hotter plugs it may cause fouling, and on an engine meant to run cooler plugs it may cause pinking.

only difference between BP4ES and BP6ES is the heat range, the BP4ES plugs will run a bit cooler. On an engine meant to run hotter plugs it may cause fouling, and on an engine meant to run cooler plugs it may cause pinking.

I figured that would be the case. It's not just a matter of not wanting to put in the wrong plugs though, If I have a 2lt I would like to know as like I said I bought it with the assumption it was the factory 1.6lt

wip a plug out and check Stroke

MA stroke IS 98 mm

NA Stroke is 83 mm

according to E-nets

Is it as easy as jamming a ruler down the hole? I've never had to check the stroke before.

MA stroke IS 98 mm

NA Stroke is 83 mm

according to E-nets

Is it as easy as jamming a ruler down the hole? I've never had to check the stroke before.

Plug out, screw driver down plug hole, turn engine over (by hand) until the screw driver goes in as far as it can, mark screw driver shaft with vivid, remove and measure (take a bit off measurement to allow for plug thread)

MA stroke IS 98 mm

NA Stroke is 83 mm

according to E-nets

Plug out, screw driver down plug hole, turn engine over (by hand) until the screw driver goes in as far as it can, mark screw driver shaft with vivid, remove and measure (take a bit off measurement to allow for plug thread)

Not possible due to the angle of the hole.

Anyone thing of some other ways to tell?

measure the stroke with a straight bit of coathanger wire.

i could swear that my 1600 had a much shorter block,

ie 2l ma was very close to the bonnet,

possibly taller head.

im sure this is also true...

measure the stroke with a straight bit of coathanger wire.

i could swear that my 1600 had a much shorter block,

ie 2l ma was very close to the bonnet,

possibly taller head.

im sure this is also true...

The rocker cover seems quite high to me. I would need to see the difference between the 2 engines though. If I get time this weekend I'll whip out a plug and give the coathanger idea a go.

Here's some reference photos of mine which might help.

I put a steel ruler across two of the bolt lugs on the rocker cover, comes out pretty much level with the lip at the top of the firewall

picccc%20029a.jpg

picccc%20030a.jpg

I'm pretty sure mine's still a 1600, nothing seems to have been changed and still got 4 on the tree

picccc%20031a.jpg

So heres some photo's of my engine. I only had a 600mm rule and phone camera but it sat flush and you can see the differences.

As for the height of the engine, it clearly sit's over an inch from where Kicker measured and still 15mm or so higher than the top nearer to the wiper motor.

224729_10150175174944272_764784271_6927132_5870813_n.jpg

And heres the stamping.

230914_10150175178094272_764784271_6927145_3447230_n.jpg

So by that, I would have to make the assumption that I do infact have the 2lt engine.