Fuel pumps

wrcbfmr

Well, my near new walbro is already getting noisy... grrr. im guessing this means its stuffed? been looking and possibly getting a bosch 040 or a 023... wanting to stay in tank for now... anyone had experience with these? What about the aeromotive ones are they any good?

yep they dont like "sucking" fuel its better if they are gravity fed. a partially blocked filter or hot fuel can make the noise worse too. my work car has a walbro pump done more than 150,000km, on a hot day with low fuel in the tank ( fuel gets hot doing laps from tank-engine-tank-engine) the pump gets louder than the exhaust

yeah ive heard this... it was a fairly hot day, but still had half a tank in it...just seemed wierd that it started happening all of a sudden. hoping the toluene mix ive got hasnt done it... although i wouldnt think so...might pull it out to have a look anyway...

exactly, stale fuel, although wouldnt have thought that would make much of a difference. however, just took it for another drive, noise cuts out briefly while going around corners, think its possible its the transfer pump which might be either not going for some reason, or has packed up, therefore not feeding the walbro. will fill it up, if that fixes the problem then it has to be the transfer pump, its not just a noise now car actually cuts out

yeah they'll be sweet - just get the straight in straight out ones - make sure either you cut the small diameter adapters off each end to utilise the larger diameter.

pic for phread (and so you can see what I mean)

fuel_filter.jpg

yeah that'll be fine also - same thing applies re cutting off the adapters

(although some part of me makes me think that that type came in either big diameter OR small diameter fittings - so make sure you have the big diameter version..)

ahhh, by the way, sorted this out now. problem was... too much rusty crap in the tank (dunno where it came from... tank itself was pretty good), blocked up the pumps filter sock... which in turn i believe meant the pump wasnt getting enough fuel, and is now...well...useless it would seem. gr... onto the aeromotive one i think! have done some research and it seems everyone recomends not to use the walbro sock for this reason, and to use an oem one instead. the filtration on the walbro one is pretty intense, nothing like the simple mesh stuff used on oem...