Cooked transmission

coldturkey

I am am not very learned in the voodoo art that is automatic transmissions.

I was raping the shit out of a Nissan Largo last night, towing a massive load. I started to lose my 'forward drive'. Stopped and it was apparent the automatic box over-heated. I waited 20mins for it to cool, drove for 1km and had to pull over again.

This time while parked on the side of the road it spewed out all the tranny fluid. Couldn't really see where it was coming from, it was dark.

Trailered it the rest of the way home.

Question: is there hope for my auto box, or is it game over?, what should I do from here to check if it is ok?

trew story ^^^

Hang on - isn't a Nissan Largo like a Vannette? They are sub 1600cc? You were towing with it? S

o many questions with answers I don't know if I want to know...

All 1st gen Largos that I can remember looking at have been 2000cc petrol (possibly also came turbo) or 2l diesel/turbo diesel (LD20)

any who...you wont know till you get underneath with the engine running and atf in it...theres hoses,solenoids and hemroids....

i dout that is has an external cooler,maybe only to the radiator...

"I was raping the shit out of a Nissan Largo last night, towing a massive load."

sums it up really....hope its not fucked, but now you know not to thrash something when your towing...

Its a 2.0 TD.

Thought it would be sweet, if it was manual Im sure it would have been.

When I say raping, I was taking it easy, but a significant amount of accelerator was required to keep it above 70kph, or get up the bombays ;)

Hmm, well i'll see if theres anything obvious, not holding my breath. It leaked out when the engine was turned off.

Cheers for the help boys, kind of knew the answer but was gambling on a glimmer of hope!

What can happen when a trans gets too hot, is the seals go hard and then begin to leak.

I had a val once with a fucked front seal. If I botted it or towed with it, or drove it up hills it would spit all it's oil out and lose drive. It spat out 5 ltrs of oil going up the Takaka hill. (And burned another 2 in the engine too)

Find the leak, and pull off the pan. A pan full of metal/lining material = find a new trans.

Right-o. So I filled it with trans fluid and it wasn't leaking.

Fired it up and it started pissing out fluid between the bellhousing and engine (theres like a little gap at the bottom edge where it all came out).

Didn't try to drive it.

So I guess im going to pull off the tranny. Damn really dont need another project car... Atleast apparently LD28 and other L Series boxes will fit.

Does anyone have any they want to get rid of?

LD28 is a 6cylinder - doubt there will be the room in a van..

Oh, the engine will stay, but supposedly the gearboxes are the same/have same bolt pattern.

Thank you gentlemen, transmission should hopefully be finding(falling) its way to the workshop floor today. I will definately pull off the oil pan to check for poos though.

Ok. Transmission is out, pulled off tray and inside was a third of a round seal of some description(dont know which) and a little bit of gritty type crap (not much).

More concerning, was some of the electrical plugs had completely melted leaving the connections exposed. I guess this would be one thing to fix, but im not really sure how i'd do it, i guess i'd have to cover the exposed stuff with something, probably not tape.

Which one is the front seal? The seal on the torque converter looked sweet. Couldnt really see much else that looked fuckered. Didn't unbolt the front part inside though.

I have already begun the search to find another. Is it worth my while to drop the trans off at somewhere like Marshall Transmissions and get them to look at it/repair it? or will I pass out when they give me the bill... I mean i'd spend like $500-600 if it meant getting a guaranteed good gearbox back