77Magnum13hundy's 4age+t Magnum discussion

Still welding panels and trying to sus out the seat mounting issue. Reading about stressed (new celica) and non-stressed (old viva) seats in the LVVTA thing bible and wondering if its just easier to put the old seats back in.... i beleve i can use stressed seats and use the original seatbelt mounts which bolt to the chassis as opossed to the seat itself but we'll keep digging... haha oh well. Clutch master cylinder fitted, new panel welded in and still ploddin along with the engine bay. Time to get back out there and get some more pics up.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking that when my engine is out I'll seam weld my front end too. Sadly HBs have less room around the servo due to little brackets from bulkhead to rails. These move the servo out. Good be an issue if what ever engine I choose is wide at the rear.

Is your steering wheel offset to the left?

Not really sure if off set, it bolts to the bracket by the dash but seems to go straight out thru the fwall and down to the steering coupling. You may be talking about something else, but yeah seems straightish. Im taking my sweet time on this car, could have left it with the 1256 in it form the start, got a paint job and legal, but then, when would i take it off the road to change everything... answer probs never. So anyways i feel ok when i see some people chopping and changing things all after they've done it already. Mind you motivation isnt all there, got a wedding to plan, rings etc... i hope it will be finished before the inevitable...

Just make some wedding rings. That's what we did- machined out of some stainless bar from work. Cost nothing but a couple of hours (Hannah's first time using a lathe) so price was right.

Yeah don't rush your car. And ya mojo will come back. Plus summer is on its way (apparantly....) so that will always lift spirits. Best time to work on car is while it's hot and sunny, beer is cold and BBQ is fired up. Roll on summer!!!!

she's a hard road finding the perfect woman boy... and by that i mean has an equal interest in cars/a lathe... i do get all day Saturday and some weeknights to get some work in tho. shouldn't complain...

the steering rod that goes thru the fwall seems to head inwards on a slight angle, you can notice in some of my pics pg 3 what im talking about...

• 4 months later...

So not really moving forward at a pace but nonetheless moving forward, so painting inside the cabin got underway and after getting alot of lint and crap from all the nooks and cranny's its now been rust converted, The headliner has 4 rods running across to keep the vinyl in check, ripped those out to find the bottom of the roof has rust, wire-wheeled and then applied the kill rust paint, the floor pans had initially been undersealed but they were in need of a refresh the inside looks a lot better now. The dash does not come out unless you really want it to, was figuring to change the whole front to maybe a toyota one then thought na, too much faffing about.

I need to sort out;

painting the rest of the car

putting engine in,

sorting rear brakes

fitting a driveshaft hoop which complies

fitting seats. 1 left to do.

exhaust from the flexi back.

wiring entire car, pulled the loom out to paint the dash area.

wiring the link in, maybe fit a oxy sensor

get the car running, drivable.

get cert wof and go

At a guess id say 2months to go (multiply by 4 carry the one, 5months.)

Not making excuses but Ive got a lot to do to get the car into cert shape, alas it would be a good time if i could bring this car. I will just keep plodding on. But everyday i seem to knock one job off the list, and then 3 more flare up.

Replaced the caster arm bushes with nolothane ones, used some ford ones and drilled out the sleeve to 19mm to fit the rods thru. Super fat and solid, so im stoked on those even tho they are 70 bucks they are worth it compared to the decreeing 36 year old ones..

Seeing as ive got the front end out, im cleaning the steering unit up, looks like it needs a birthday. So i gutted it out and found it has some old school bearings in there like the old bmx's, so i'l clean and regrease and (try to find where all the f-ing bearings rolled to) paint it, also will paint the rest of the x-member so that everything looks mint and clean, then i can get the donker back in its hole.

• 3 months later...

turbo water lines, yeh can run off the heater hoses.  some people run off the lines to throttle body.  mine i run from the block. there is a bung on exhaust side.  thru turbo and back into to bypass pipe/top outlet to radiator 

• Like 1

On the topic of new hubs.  I've been playing around with some ideas.

Depending on what caliper you want to run (I'm running princess 4 pots) there some good ideas on the Viva owners club forum, using some Volvo rotor on the standard hub.

I also thought about getting some new hubs machined up to take a really common rotor and probably convert to a stud pattern which you can actually buy wheels for.

Collaborative OS Viva owners project sort design and make a batch?  Yoeddynz needs some brakes in the front of his one too...

• Like 1

Yes this sounds good... the hub idea. Nothing ive tried so far seems to be simple so i just stick with the ones i got. teh easiest step is to make the front end 4x100 welding up and redrilling them to this. I wanted to run 5 stud hiace pattern/l200 /holden/ford whatever offset. all the stub axels for those models are too tall for retrofitting, so the next step is either make a hub fit onto the smaller diameter axle shaft with some sort of spacers or use wheel adapter which is way down the list of things to consider. At the same time running wide wheels and paying out for tyres may just be equal to what it costs for all this other fucking around. As a daily express your not going to need an lsd in the rear but if you track the car and you want a sweet skid machine tahi spinners just wont cut the mustard. To redo the whole assembly frnt and rear id say easy 2grand (shortened hilux diff + lsd plus custom front end) to get a setup thats working for you. compared to the expensive falken or yoko 13's for the 8" wheels that will be legal its still a slight tad cheaper to stay with what its got. Ah and do all this before cert and stuff just wont happen... 

So in short weld up diff and run stretched tyres... 

Great project, i ended up getting some hotwires machined to suit the 4x 4' pattern cost like $400 by the end of it. Nice project can't wait to see the 4age'd viva. I know that the 1256 axels can take around 100hp and a decent beating without any trouble. I have 8' wide wheels with 185's which i think is technically illegal stretch according to the chart i saw even though it doesn't look stretched at all. In hindsight i would switch to 14's.

Yoeddynz needs some brakes in the front of his one too...

Nah- you tried it without a servo and just don't have the legs for it ya big woman :-).

The brakes are fantastic now. Especially after replacing the original old rubber hoses with new braided items. That alone is certainly something I was amazed at with the difference.

I would be keen on a new setup though- the current steel hubs and calipers are very heavy and solid discs aint much good for long downhill runs. I fancy making some alloy hubs to suit vented rotors and then some decent alloy calipers.

• 2 weeks later...

So, bit of an update to the viva... 

Got some VR4 440cc injectors in, link is being wired in and sorting where to position the coil packs and associated components.

Have bought a innovate MTX wideband for getting the tuning sorted, the way i see it you can always use this on a wide variety of things and it is going to be a handy tool, so it will pay itself off straight away.

With a bit of luck this weekend i'l have the new bracket for the intercooler and the rest of the water plumbing/radiator in... the radiator and intercooler are it the same area so need to get them setup right. Have not sorted out any form of choke system yet, May need to bring that back in the mix. 

Anyways I'll keep plodding on... may be firing her up soon i hope....

• Like 1