1vaknd's 82 ej20 KP

1vaknd

Easier and stronger to weld bottom link bracket to the chasis rail I can get four 5mm welds on there nicely plus the extra welds on floor pan. I have seen way to many cars breaking these link brackets. Throughout this whole build my main motto is do it once do it right. I know it's enevitable that I will always have to do more work later on down the track but I want this to be mainly maintenance free when finished!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Up and down through the arc and side to side articulation. You want to be able to have one side at bump stop height and the other at full droop, otherwise you're getting bind and unpredictable things will happen + you're more likely to rip mounts out.

So it will do this shit from side to side without binding up.

extreme%20articulation%20side.jpg

Ideal 4-link is parallel like d.p.n.s's

img1054sa.jpg

is that steering rack placement final? it just looks like it's on the piss in one of those photos, and also don't you want the steering rods to run parallel with the lower lower control arm/steering rod?

looks to be an eyelusion chap^

awesome work man this is a serious undertaking not just an engine swap here :shock:,

a lot of this sort of stuff happens in the u.k and its great to see a few kiwi's putting the yards in to build what they want how they want,

reminds me i have to get back to a certain couple projects (simple engine swaps)

and finish that shit.

Look closer in the pics above. The rack is held in with cable ties at the moment. Have to tak a notch out of cross member on drivers side bracket to square it up. Also castor arm brackets arent bolted down in those pics so nothing will be lined up properly

Yes, I had issues with the mount ripping out after we slammed the car + lifted the front mount up a notch. The mounts were only stitched onto the floorpan and centre brace of the chassis. To stop that they really need to be tied straight back to the rear somehow. Mine now has a brace between the two links and two more back to the rear well, along with strengthening plates. I'd say yours would benefit from similar treatment to make sure it won't tramp or tweak anything.

• 2 weeks later...

There's alot to it dude! Don't attempt unless you are good at overhead welds( or have rotisserie ) pm me when you are going to start it and I can give you the full run down. It is not as easy as just drilling holes and bolting it up, I'm warning you!