TenFives 20ft Hartley boat

mark105

so some one asked for a project thread so.

i brought a 20 ft wooden hartley boat. is powered by some 3.2L all steel american donk from the 60's which i think they call a AMC six. Stern leg seems equally as dinosaur but atleast it gives me forward and reverse.

current idea is to get it all sea worthy again and see what its going to do wake wise and if it makes something usable then to deck it out with bout 500kg's of ballast and see if i can get something substantial from it wake wise and do a back flip.

here is some photo's of the old girl.

IMAG0015.jpg

IMAG0016.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0021.jpg

shes pretty roomy which is sweet, has a sink on it lol and came with a chemical toilet also but all that shit has to go if i keep it, was mainly a fishing boat it seems, but if it makes a usable wake ill rip most the cabin to bits and just build it all into seating, roll some sounds and shit in it and put a stainless tube frame over cabin which will double as a wake board bar.

also for those hydraulic savvy as i am not, i want to put try and cheaply put some hydro rams onto the stern leg so it has hydro tilt rather than running to the back to manually lift it when coming into shore. does any one have any tips or ideas where i could get some rams and a pump and tank for cheaps?

Go to a marine / outboard wrecker and pilfer the gear off an outboard. Because you arent lifting the whole motor and everything you should be able to roll just the quick ram and then just fuck with mountings etc.

ooooor get a 300mm stroke ram and use a portapower cos that would make me laugh

yeh was thinking outboard quick rams, not much room under leg so would likely need to find one them old mercs that have ram each side stz. as would like to be able to put it in D and drive up on rams so just one on one side may put un needed stress on shit.

has a little rot in it which i need to fix so at the moment its sitting in shed and im getting it super dry so i can go about fixing it. so glad its wood, shit is so much easier to work with then rusty bloody steel. once rot is fixed its bonvoyage (or how ever you spell that)

pictures dont show it well but once you been on it, its way bigger than our current boat. fit 5 people in cabin at current in front of sink, so once i pull sink out should fit like 9 people in there at maximum anyways. but i dont have that many friends that wake board so will add ballast instead of bringing friends haha. but i will do that under the seats with large stainless tanks.

shit took half the day, but it now runs, i dont know if there is supposed to be a gaskit under the dizzy but because some derp painted the dizzy clamp it had no earth and i spent most the day replacing and testing the entire ignition system.

also always remember to turn the key off on an engine before pulling the dizzy out cause when you have pumped so much gas into it trying to get it to go so the sump is full of fuel vapour and you pull your dizzy out and it finally earths on something when it triggers it causes a massive explosion in ones sump, im surprised the sump is still on the thing haha. either way gave me n dad one hell of a fright.

hoping wake will be sweet but un sure at this stage.

and i have no idea tom, it is possible, this thing is from a rambler i was told. i think according to wiki they made a few versions and this looks to be the first. so may be jeep motor is from a newer variant?

• 5 weeks later...

lol dayfe, im doing one of those and no its not turbo.

put a holden 202 stromberg on it today, finally starts with out instantly flooding, so much easier to start, also would have idled way sweeter if i remembered to take the idle screw with me cause i took it out to die grind out the mount holes to suit AMC manifold.

also made a huge hole in the rear of it because i chopped all the rot out. let the fibre glassing begin and i probably should have been working on the skyline instead.

no pics ftl.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...