One way valve for brake lines?

Bombsquad

Hey lads, wondering if anyone could tell me if there is such a thing as a one way valve (pcv valve style) to go in break lines?

Eg say you have two pedals individually controlling one calliper (2 master cylinders/resovuars) through a double banjo fitting, i need a way to stop the fluid bypassing the calliper and going back up the opposing line

you have one flaw - how is the fluid going to return from the calliper - ie you will get one brake application and then the brakes will be locked up till you undo the bleed nipple..

perhaps run down what you are trying to achieve and there may be a better solution

shuttle valves are used in hydro handbrakes. they use them in topdressing plane loader trucks that have the rear mounted cab that you drive it from to load the plane. shuttle goes in the clutch line.

yuh

prolly get one from apex auto centre in hamiltown. i think that's where i got a couple in about 2004

Shuttle valve you say, are they very big cos for it to work how i want it would have to be small (like the size of a small pcv valve)

I did make something myself using a double banjo bolt drilled out and with a sprung ball bearing inside it, so spring held ball bearing up blocking off the top line (aided by pressure from lower line), and then when upper line was used it pushed bearing down sealing off bottom line, however it was very hard to get machining right and sealing correctly

yeah. I'm pretty sure that's where i got them from. My memory is hazey at best and it was two jobs ago. hah.

If you can't get them from there, go find a topdressing outfit and find out who builds their trucks.

me_with_loader__paper_thurs_0002.186193646_std.jpg

these things.

the second cab at the back runs a seperate clutch master cylinder. the brakes are done a different way being air over hydraulic rather than straight hydraulic/vac over hydraulic. so they run a shuttle valve which is pretty much what you tried to make.

I'm pretty sure when I finally tracked them down, you could get them in 3/6" 5/16" and 3/8" bundy tube sizes. 3/16" being the common 'car' sized pipe.

wasn't really very big at all.

Shuttle valve best option i think because it will let the pressure return to tank as oil aways takes the esay path of flow. An one way check valve in each line wont work as both checks will block off wen u let pressure off and lock brake up. you can buy them from enzed or hydraulink go into a place like them tell them wot u wont to do they shod sort you out.

cut away of a Shuttle valve

th.0bb9f8e606.jpg

Looking at that cut away of the shuttle valve it would appear to be ideal, one line coming from hand brake, one from foot brake and then the main line to the calliper.

My next question then is the thing im using it for is going to be shaking all over the place, the bearing is obviously free to roll round so how likely is it that the shake push the bearing and allow fluid to bypass. Or even affect the calliper returning to normal position and draging?

I think it might be one of those thing i just have to try and see if it works. Hopefully it wont be to expensive

the shaking wood be no problem use them all the time in plumbing up excavator attachments and they get a very hard life.

maybe a return spring on the brake pedal and a common brake fluid reservoir so u dont get one reservoir over filling and one emptying.

what is this set up going on?

I cant use common resovuar as far as i know due to the way the setup will run.

Its being used on my stunt bike to allow me to run a rear foot brake and a hand brake off the single original rear calliper.

Seeing as its my day off work and im already bored i thought id get some mad sick ms paint skills crankin and show you all what im trying to do.

brakedesign.jpg

that'll be saweeeeeet

I reckon you'll wanna maybe run the handbrake master a little 'low' on fluid level, and perhaps upgrade the footbrake master if it's one of those micro ones liek on some bikes, just in case it wants to purge back into the wrong cylinder. it *should* return to where it's come from, though.