LHD 1982 Toyota Pickup

hood

I always liked this shape Hilux, some thing to do with the old Barry Crump adds maybe?

What are your plans for it?

Neat little trucks with Style, yeah I agree

I really would like to have it back on the road soonish. I'm going towards a restoration rather than heavy mods.

Plans as follows;

Cab off rebuilt, new steel in the floor.

One piece glass (all ready have parts) to replace the redneck rear window and quater windows

Bench seat swap with original style material

Sandblasted frame then repaint.

Gearbox rebuild (syncros are tired)

Bigger sized steelies, currently on falcon 15s.

Repaint to a soild suede blue colour

If I do go ahead with any mods, it will only go as far a chassis notch and drop spindles so I can carry and tow stuff with a smooth ride and not having to worry about the diff slapping the frame

Then enjoy it again 8)

Sweet stuff man. I love thats its LWB and LHD.

If you're gettin rid of the rear window I'll take it off your hands, mine is half plexiglass... :-P

Thanks!

At this stage I will be removing it, but not getting rid of it unfortunately. But if I change my mind I will create a post in the for sale section.

I often see the solid type glass pop up on TM from time to time

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

bruv, good to see something is happening with this again. those Simon's old wheels off H8CARS??? i like them, suit that old school MT look.

there's a guy in America building a similar truck rocking the 3 spoke chromes, its got a disney theme. you seen it?

tray mounted up properly yet?

miss you man, can't wait for catch ups next time i'm home.

cheers

Matt

• 1 month later...
bruv, good to see something is happening with this again. those Simon's old wheels off H8CARS??? i like them, suit that old school MT look.

there's a guy in America building a similar truck rocking the 3 spoke chromes, its got a disney theme. you seen it?

tray mounted up properly yet?

miss you man, can't wait for catch ups next time i'm home.

cheers

Matt

Just spotted this post, sorry bruv

Na, not Simons wheels. I found them in Te Puke.

Oh yeah this one....

38756_1568120966903_1351828169_31581167_2185974_n.jpg

The bed is still sitting there at present.

Miss ya to dude, oh catch ups are on when your back

• 8 months later...

DUUUUDDDEEEE!!!!!

I know why your new wellside seems ‘too long’!

When I was looking at that 75years of Toyota lineage I naturally went to be a RN30/40 piner and checked it out.

I was interested to find out there was a ‘Super Deluxe’ version offered when the cab was extended to give more leg room etc. They had the specs and a wee blurb:

“The third-generation Hilux went on sale in September 1978. The cover of its brochure featured a photo of an orange Hilux with ornamental white side stripes, and the heading read: "Hilux California -- born in Japan, raised in the U.S.," emphasizing the versatility of the pickup truck that routinely doubled as a passenger car or a leisure vehicle in the U.S.

The third-generation model offered sedan-like specifications and equipment as well as ride comfort. The variations included three standard-length models and four long-body models. The new top-end Super Deluxe model came with an extended cab that was 90 mm longer than a standard cab, enlarging the interior space. The 1.6-liter 12R-J engine was inherited from the previous generation. The double wishbone front suspension remained unchanged, except that the coil springs were replaced with a torsion bar. Front disc brakes were standard-equipped on the Deluxe grade models and above.

The tailgate with an embossed Toyota logo was available as an option. In October 1979, the first 4-wheel-drive model was introduced to the Hilux line, fitted with a 2-liter engine (18R-J). In December, a diesel engine (Type L) was made available to rear-wheel-drive models, which was also the first for the Hilux. In a minor makeover in October 1981, a double-cab model with two rows of seats was introduced for leisure use. Throughout this model generation, the Hilux significantly expanded its model variations.”

And this page in particular gives you the internal tray dimensions of the models. http://toyota.vo.lln...tml#page_num=16

I guess this means you might have to section up to 90mm out of it (65m going off the internal dimensions)…

DSCF0011.jpg

compared to

hilux7883rn4.jpg

Interesting, thanks for sharing that info Bistro.

When you compare the photo of my truck and the blue one, its obvious that the blue truck is the short bed version.

I thought the difference just came down to the truck itself being the USA market model and the new wellside possibly being a NZ new model?

But 90mm sounds about right that will need to be sectioned

Yea I wasn't too sure when you first tried it and didnt line up because I thought they were jsut the SWB and LWB but the 'Super Deluxe' with the longer cab makes sence. From the brouchure it looks like the Super Deluxe was only ever came as a LWB.

That red one on trademe is pretty cool with the dome button cressida seats and shit haha the extra cab length would def be benificial.

How do you find yours to drive? not cramped? Im bout 5' 11" but wouldnt wanna be much taller for my standard cab hah

• 1 year later...