DJZ's 280ZX of Zilla-ness

OSM Garage

Awesome photo, thanks for that.

Yeah man, pity I took some nice deep cuts out of the very edge of the tread on the right hand side test driving it over the week, had to raise the back of the car up quite a bit and I got the guards rolled yesterday morning to try and stop it. Looks like the back is pretty much fixed now, don't think I can go any lower though.

I'll probably be raising the front a little bit sometime this week as it started to catch on the front left corner going over bumps.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It's going to remain a road car and uncaged, at a quick glace most of the events I'd be looking at doing say things like "All batteries shall be securely mounted and have the live terminal adequately covered." or "bolted down battery". I did think about running another strap across the other way as well.

Do you think it's not good because it's aluminium or ?

Nah, the rule is that you need big bolts if mounted in the cabin. Here's a copy paste - you can probably sweet talk your way through it at most events, but thought it was worth pointing out.

Schedule A

(B) Batteries located in the cockpit shall;

(i) Be mounted on a flat metal base, and

(ii) Have two insulated metal clamps affixed by a minimum of 8 mm (ISO 8.8 ) bolts and nuts in combination with under floor counter plates, and

(ii) For ‘wet cell’ batteries an independently attached leak-proof box vented to the vehicle exterior is required.

(iv) For a sealed “dry cell” (i.e.: may be fitted in any orientation, without any loss of fluid) may be mounted in the cockpit without a leak proof box.

Well shit. Where might I acquire a sealed battery box? I've done a bit of searching but pretty much all the ones that come up aren't sealed.

I've actually got a track day on Thursday so I'm just checking with the organizer as to what I can get away with. Might have to borrow my mates sealed gel battery for it hah.

I've got a plastic battery box with one of the normal lids with lots of spaces for the wires to come out of, might have a look at making a new sealed lid for it of out steel. If not I might just buy one of the sealed acid free batteries.

The normal one should be sweet as... There are almost no options for a decent sealed box. Just add a bit of foam around the rim if you want it to be "sealed" and add a wee vent tube that heads out one of your drain bungs.

M8 thread is a big deal though, don't want that baby to scone you in the face.

• 1 month later...