DJZ's 280ZX of Zilla-ness

OSM Garage

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done on getting it all together in such a short time frame, and making the tune date.

360+hp is nothing to be scoffed at either.

but whats the story with the boost creep my friend?

Dont tell me the world renowed and trusted 'Tial' is not holding boost properly?

My 34 has an older style tial, and im sure its only a 38, and hold the GT35/40 perfectly at just over a bar..

Wheels look fucking sa-weet!

Are you just going to rock the centres outside and stretch a small-ish tyre over them?

There were a couple of suggestions on the cause of the boost creep, manifold design, too small a pipe to the wastegate (the most likely cause), having no pipe on the outlet side of the wastegate, pipes out of the manifold not matched to the holes in the runners etc etc Phil did mention that you occasionally get "lazy" gates that take a long time to open fully which I will test for but I don't think it's the problem.

Stretching tyres won't get me a cert unfortunately, I'm probably going to have to buy 275s if I can't sort out getting bands made the right side so I can use the 255s I have currently. The only problem with that is 275s will probably have the tread outside of the guards which will mean I won't pass cert either.

• 1 month later...

No they don't and yes there is. The Fairlady bumpers don't have overriders and I'm pretty sure they are thinner. There's lots of ugly bits under the bumper, some people smooth it out but I reckon it looks dumb.

sam4254.jpg

Or facelift bumpers are a bit different, wouldn't match the rest of the car though.

Nissan-Fairlady-Z-S130-280ZX-red-03.jpg

Can't find one with no bumper but not smoothed out, so here is a smoothed out one.

image009.jpg

I miss the L series mainly because that motor had been with me almost from the start and even though it had its problems it never let me down once, that's including driving from Christchurch to Auckland and the Auckland back to Christchurch 3 odd years later. I hope that the RB can match that reliability even with a bit more power.

I quite like the sound of the RB, it doesn't sound like your typical "watery" as I describe it big exhausted staino mufflered Cefiro, Laurel or Skyline. It'll be interesting to see what it sounds like at high revs with the wastegate hooked up back to the exhaust, I'll probably be getting that done this week. It is actually quieter than the L series for some reason, even with the exhaust underchanged after the downpipe.