UJ's Freediving sled

Unclejake

Fast135 donated a motorcycle twist throttle for this project last year and now it starts in earnest.

The device will carry a breath hold diver to depth at great speed. The sled will run down a fixed rope and the throttle and brake will use friction on that fixed rope for descent speed control. The engine is the most powerful on earth. Gravity.

This is the beginning. More photos to come as I work through the plan.

dsc02474r.jpg

The spine of the sled

dsc02472ya.jpg

Here is the throttle assembly. It is a stainless plumbing ball valve

picture655l.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have obviously watched 'into the blue' one too many times...
Jessica Alba had sweet, sweet body in that (crap) movie and I would have done her for free ................ but perhaps you mean a much older movie - The Big Blue?

KKK - you have guessed well. The holes are to vent air and to drain water out when retrieving the sled.

As it is the ball valve will bugger the rope pretty fast. The plan is to insert a bronze (or other soft metal) insert inside the ball and to flare it out to minimise rope damage. The retail cost of the rope is well over $1k so we want it to last a while, but reality is that the sled won't get used much. I am figuring on 200 deep descents in ten years

There is lots of room inside the ball for an insert

picture654k.jpg

Does the insert to the ball valve need to be metal? plastic alternatives? Getting the plastic to 'stick' may be an issue I suppose, and if closed with force could break/ I am probably going through things you have already though of.

If you don't mind can you post up what exactly the rules are (or a link to them) for Dave's dive?

There are no rules for this dive. The sled will be used to train Dave's ears for equalizing below a certain depth. The sled will give him almost an extra minute to mess around with ears and such.

Bonding nylon to the inside of the ball is what worried me. An interference fit with something metal seems safest - but I have not looked into it properly yet

There are no rules for this dive. The sled will be used to train Dave's ears for equalizing below a certain depth. The sled will give him almost an extra minute to mess around with ears and such.

Bonding nylon to the inside of the ball is what worried me. An interference fit with something metal seems safest - but I have not looked into it properly yet

I can supply nylon, uhmwpe, pvc, acrylic, acetal, polyprop, teflon, peek, nylon GSM, nylon LF, PETP in rod form. just let me know if you want anything and its yours

for the braking/throttle have you thought about a cam type system?

Im thinking about a device we used in rock climbing called a shunt.

basically it just curves the rope round a cam and while you grip the handle it free runs the rope...the more you let the handle loose it slows you down to a stop.

Really simple device and designed to be used on climbing ropes so very rope friendly.

Will find pics for you.

edit...here...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRajcgwPXB40itBlW1Snn4xv6fvYKAmEVcLqkjJ47TWGQg6TVqhVA

incline_shunt.gif

If it is the sort of thing that may work PM me and I will post my shunt down for you to test/try.

Will find pics for you.

That looks kind of complicated^

I like the cam idea. So simple and nothing to go wrong or get tangled.

I could probably get my boss to plasma out a cam next time he cuts some 16mm steel.

But I see you don't want steel.

can supply nylon, uhmwpe, pvc, acrylic, acetal, polyprop, teflon, peek, nylon GSM, nylon LF, PETP in rod form. just let me know if you want anything and its yours

Seriously - I honestly don't know what most of that stuff even is. I think I like you. A great deal!

Dosgysam - yes mate. A cam thing is the plan. More on that soon.\ Simon - I will explain it all in the next few days but I think I have a plan

Tonight I saw Cam/Paul, Flange and Gemma and while ignoring them I turned up some alloy bits to the sound of KKK raging at something next door. I LOLed. He will too by now.

dsc02487cm.jpg

dsc02485c.jpg

dsc02486lh.jpg

dsc02490fa.jpg

dsc02494u.jpg

Somewhat LOLing/somewhat still pumping copious blood through my eyeballs.. was fixing hydraulics on Citroen which was insanely infuriating and dropped my fucking torch in the bucket of LHM - I think tomorrow I laugh - tonight I stab anyone within arms reach..