4x4 body lift

shizzl

anyone on here done a body lift before??

im not too clued up on it...and i know theres f all out there for my truck so id have to get everything made i guess

do you buy nylon blocks,undo the OEM mounts, lift the body up,put in new mounts with longer bolts and thats it??

do you you need to do anything with the steering/brake lines and shit??

considering lifting the proceed up,and also a suspension lift,but not too much cos its ifs..

most likely just wind the torsions up and make longer shackles(once i get the bushes out :doubt: )..

then itll need some larger tyres like 33"s,spotties on the roof rack,snorkel,lock the front diff and pin it to win it.. :badgrin:

so yeah,any help would be good as....

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use whatever material you like for the bodylift, steel/alloy/variations of plastic etc.

The parts to watch out for as you said are the steering, brake lines, wiring looms etc.

Does it have an lsd rear? If yes, get that shimmed up tight. If not can you get lockers for them?

I've never driven an IFS truck off road, only land rovers, but in my experience a front locker wasn't needed for most the time, and i've driven on a lot of different terrain.

I tried longer shackles in my series 3, but i lost articulation in the rear, i was pretty young and couldn't be bothered to figure out why. I'd investigate getting the leaves arched higher.

What do you mainly want to use it for? That will determine what tyres you should be using.

Oh and don't just go full noise everywhere haha, it may seem fun, but you get sick of breaking shit, and you look like a tool :lol:

only wanna get deeper into the bush...suspension lift is needed,we were almost bellied on some gnarly tracks in the middle of nowhere by ourselves...

just spent the last 3 hours searching and found pretty sweet site..

the say that most of the shit needs to be lengthened,brake lines, heater hoses,wiring loom etc..

so i guess thats a major and would rather try getting some height out of the suspenson first..

Yea the problem with the marvie is the rather long wheelbase, if you don't need the interior room i would suggest getting something with a shorter wheelbase, and something a bit more modification friendly haha.

I always complained about having no room, untill i made some draws and shelves to keep shit in place.

Make sure you carry water/food/spades/hi lift jack if you must travel by yourself, but try and rope someone else in if you can.

I have one, give me cash.

il give ya a stockcar instead :scratch:

yeah theyr super long ae..

so keen for a single cab lux, chop the chassis off just after the spring hangers,make a little deck for spare,jack and shit..

anything shorter than the proceed would work...

theyr real thirsty though arent they?even worse than a proceed

found this vid on youtube of a hilux that had 2 tranfer cases or something,the guy was walking beside it while it was idling up a 4x4 track..man it was cool...but he said it was in 3rd gear out of 22 or something i was a bit confued about that

As much as i dislike the things, a swb safari has coils both ends. But they are fairly wide.

mate had one of them, 4.2 non turbz diesel. 2 inch suspension lift, 35's, winch, no bumpers etc. fuck it was a machine. could take it anywhere.

yeah the ease of body lift depends heaps on the vehicle and how much stuff is attached to the body or the chasiss and how much slack there is in things.

if your on your own winch is pretty important, and good batteries/altenator if it's electric.

But even more important than a winch, get a mattock - by far the best thing for digging yourself out in most terrain except loose sand. also stopping getting out and digginout out the worst bits of the track so you don't get hung up at as bad is also king, so few people bother which usually just makes the tracks get wrecked more and more as people get hung up and then machine out bigger notches etc.

manual is better than auto in that you can do push starts and things like that reliability wise if it goes horribly wrong. it's not a huge thing though, either works ok. also often with autos you cant hold the box in 1st.

biggest downside for autos is no real engine braking on descents.

I've only ever driven land rovers off road, which have a much lower low range than most japanese 4wd's.

I found a diesel auto discos to have a perfectly sweet downhill speed in 1st.

Having an auto is so much easier and smoother, if you have a sweet low range to back it up with.

my 92 surf is manual, has a super sweet low range and works mint downhill and up.

idles up the gnarliest tracks at slower then walking speed.

did i mention its on 32s and flexs like a biarch.

use 2nd low alot tho so might be too low.

also, need oldschool 4wd crew. ive been pineing for some 4 wheeling.

anyone know of/keen to go 4wding around whangarei?

EDIT: do those proceeds even have a seperate chassis?

you might be able to get a 1 inch lift in there without too many issues.

ive put a 2 inch lift in my suzuki without having to lengthen anything.

but watch out for the fuel filler tube and brake lines under the bonnet.

also the gear levers might foul on the tunnel.