4x4 body lift

shizzl

also, need oldschool 4wd crew. ive been pineing for some 4 wheeling.

anyone know of/keen to go 4wding around whangarei?

theres a choice place out past us a bit. can go there pretty much anytime. its far better in the winter but still good. here (only shows a small part of it)

probably keen to come for a hack in the old boys truck sometime

ps fuck going slow.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OS needs a 4x4 section....

cool to see that most OSers are into other shiz than just modding rd cars..

theres bikes,rd bikes,scooters,and 4x4s...this is an epic community of muscular fuel induced action...

awesome...

apparently DOC have a list of 4x4 tracks available

yeah doc have a list although it's not that big - there are other tracks but sometimes a little sketchy maori land/barren private land (usually not clear whose it is) I feel a bit stink about it as it sounds kinda elitist etc. which I'm not, but I'm never too keen to say exactly where stuff is on the net as so often places get shut from people abusing them/too many people going there and attracting unwanted attention/silly people going there and wrecking it basically. Not that I know any in the sth island, mostly central/north north island.

alot of club tracks etc. are on private farmland so you can only get there with the owners permission which is what clubs are good for. the problem my flatmate found with clubs (I haven't been a member but he has been of a couple) is that often way too many of the guys are all ARRR ARRR ARR HARD YAKKA RAH DE RAH CRUISERS ARE SHIT/PATROLS ARE SHIT etc. whichever brand they support + club politics etc.

That said another mate was in the whangarei club and it didn't sound like they were too bad and seemed to run a reasonable number of events.

advantages of club trips are people are all prepped to pull others out, access to private tracks can learn stuff off good dudes

disadvantage is people get cocky and overconfident often wrecking their stz trying to get up something silly just because someone else did, can also be alot of waiting around while other people are stuck sometimes.

usually you can go on a couple of club trips without being a member to see what they are like (just nominal event fee $20 or something). clubs usually have some minimum requirements for repair and recovery gear also.

old man is a member of the whangarei club, have been on a couple trips with them. they seem all good. only issue i have is all the waiting around. but i guess your going to get this anywhere with a large number of trucks, and everyone wanting to yarn about something.

also it seems if you in the whangarei club you need to grow a sweet beard

+1 for not listing spots on the net. have seen an area where the landowner was ok people moving through to the river get Destroyed by to many shit drivers with shit 4wd's. Dude put a lock on gate and idiots complained to council, they didn't even think that the land could be privately owned. If you know a sweet spot keep it on the DL.

but yeah OS 4wd trip could be sweet

Tom summed it up pretty well, clubs are really handy and as he quite rightly pointed out there are always the cocks who want to show off haha.

Going exploring by yourself is a fairly silly idea, i don't care how kitted out your truck is, it's bad practice.

You'll make plenty of friends in a club, and once you get to know which guys are the gc's i'd go on smallish (3-5) trucks type runs.

Yeah have usually found trips with just a few people are the best, you can be a bit more gung ho as you have someone to pull you out/ save the day if something goes seriously wrong but without huge peer pressure type thing and waiting around. also you can take your time with sussing out obstacles and planning your lines when it comes to tricky parts. e.g. stopping and probing bogs to make sure your not going to suck water in your engine.

same deal here. best trips ive been on, have been when theres a small amount of trucks. but going by yourself is asking for trouble. would be happy to take a few people to the place we go, long as theres no a meatheads and keep it in on the down low Edit: and be able to tow a safari out of a bog hole...

I think they are beam axle front and rear? May be a Dana 44 in the back actually. Probably go well enough if its in good condition bar cosmetics. I don't know too much about them otherwise though. I would guess better deal than toyota/nissan but parts may be a little harder to come by.

IFS is not as good in some ways since it hangs down more than a beam axle around the wheels and most ruts are made by beam axle vehicles (hilux/safari/cruiser) so they get stuck in the ruts more. but if the tracks around you aren't super heavily rutted it's not thaaaaaat big of a deal.

good point.... not too sure what the control arm clearance to the ground would be like with 33s on it

shouldnt be too bad though..would think it would only be an inch or so difference between ifs and beam..

the swivel ball set up is quite bulky and add the springs underneath too..

both have pros and cons i guess

is that the plastic stuff? we used to buy big hunks of it (mainly falt bits for use as wearpads in sliding drawbars of stock trailers) from a place that called themselves engineering plastics in palmerston north. I think they changed their name to dotmar or something.

i think they have branches here and there, too.