Avenga's Avengers

Avenga

nice avengers see your in auckland havent seen many of these down south yet,i left all mine back in eire i had 5 have 2 left the tiger and a 2 door i was goin to v8 but didnt get around to it,still have lots of parts at home if your stuck for anything tricky,im a member of the club to asoc in uk so most things can be got through them,or speedys in uk or mal stuart if you want go faster stuff,there is another member in wellington who has a rally one and a few donors.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah this is nice, I have always liked these. Does it have the L shaped tail lights? These were pretty revvy to begin with weren't they?
Up to '78 they had the hockey stick lights. '79 onwards they were rebadged as Chrysler and went to flat tail lights / big ugly headlights.

Blue one had hockeystick lights, red has flat.

Thanks Valiant. As Yowzer said they rebadged so my 1975 (blue) is a Hillman Avenger with the L shaped hockey stick lights and my 1980 (red) is a Chrysler with the "flat tail lights / big ugly headlights"

I like the pre-facelift Hillmans better myself but my 1980 was my first car and I have owned it for about 15 years. brought it in the mid 90's and turned it in to a race car in the early 2000's

Avengers do rev well from stock. Stock the redline is around 6,000RPM. My 1975 I shift at 7,000RPM. this is about where you get stuff breaking. I will be posting in my next update what happened in the first few 100km's of giving it full noise in my '75, I cracked the fuel pump and then shortly after lost a fan blade in to the radiator at high revs. I have switched to electric fan and fuel pump. I knew these were a weak spot from my race car but I figured they would be able to handle the power and revs of the '75 but I was wrong.

My race car can do 9,000RPM. It valve bounces at about 9,100RPM but most the time I used to shift around about 8,000-8,500 to help the valves last a bit longer.

nice avengers see your in auckland havent seen many of these down south yet,i left all mine back in eire i had 5 have 2 left the tiger and a 2 door i was goin to v8 but didnt get around to it,still have lots of parts at home if your stuck for anything tricky,im a member of the club to asoc in uk so most things can be got through them,or speedys in uk or mal stuart if you want go faster stuff,there is another member in wellington who has a rally one and a few donors.

Thanks. I really like your Tiger. I would love to see it in person one day. Thanks for the offer of parts. NZ has a pretty good Avenger comunity. I am pretty sure I know the guy you are talking about in Wellington with the rally avenger (is it an orange one with tiger strips) If that is the guy then I email him quite often. Awesome rally car he has.

There are a few of us Avenger guys in Auckland and I know maybe about a dozen other guys around the country who are in to them. there is a guy down in Palmerston North who imports Rootes group parts so he is a good source of parts.

I brought the domain name www.avenger.co.nz a few years ago and I really want to get an Avenger site up and going. maybe have some Avenger meets. I belong to a chrysler club for my Chrysler Valiant Charger and we just went to a big meet in Nelson followed by a tour around the whole south island (4500km) so I was thinking of doing something for the Avengers. Maybe like a annual or bi-annual Avenger meet somewhere in the middle.

I haven't done any of the web design yet but I plan to do something with the site in the new year so I will let you know if there is any updates on that. I know there is a lot of people who would be keen to see your Tiger. I don't think there are any other Tigers in NZ. there is only a dozen or so 2 doors also. I have seen 2 of them in person, only was a rally car with a 1800 brazil engine!!

There are a few of us Avenger guys in Auckland and I know maybe about a dozen other guys around the country who are in to them. there is a guy down in Palmerston North who imports Rootes group parts so he is a good source of parts.

I brought the domain name http://www.avenger.co.nz a few years ago and I really want to get an Avenger site up and going. maybe have some Avenger meets. I belong to a chrysler club for my Chrysler Valiant Charger and we just went to a big meet in Nelson followed by a tour around the whole south island (4500km) so I was thinking of doing something for the Avengers. Maybe like a annual or bi-annual Avenger meet somewhere in the middle.

I haven't done any of the web design yet but I plan to do something with the site in the new year so I will let you know if there is any updates on that. I know there is a lot of people who would be keen to see your Tiger. I don't think there are any other Tigers in NZ. there is only a dozen or so 2 doors also. I have seen 2 of them in person, only was a rally car with a 1800 brazil engine!!

Cool When you came to the South Island after MIN did you come on the reclaim the city run around Christchurch.

Do they still have the hill climb in the Auckland Domain?

There used to be a burgandy Avenga there that was wicked fast.

The owner said some thing about tiger and 2000ccs and Brazil when I asked about it.

Yeah I did do the Reclaim the city run around Christchurch. that drive along the port hills was awesome. The city lights look so really nice from up there. did you go to MiN or the reclaim the city? if so what car were you in?

They didn't have the domain hillclimb this year because of funding and council issues but I did do the domain hillclimb in 2004 and 2005 in my red Avenger. I still go every year to watch. I haven't seen another Avenger at that hillclimb other than mine. The best thing about the auckland domain hillclimb is you get really good photos of your car taken by ground-sky photography. you can see my photos from 2004-2005 on their site. either go to the event or just search for Chrysler Avenger. I am the only Chrysler Avenger on that site. Everyone else races Hillman Avengers. Car no. 76 http://www.groundsky.co.nz/

Most the rally guys use 1800cc Brazil engines, In Brazil and Argentina they had Avengers with 1800cc engines sold as Dodge and later VW. they continued till 1990 and even brought out a 5 speed model in 1988. they looked really different in the 80's but you can still see it is an Avenger underneath. I never got round to sourcing a Brazil engine. They are pretty rare now and the rally guys pay top dollar for them so I am happy with my 1600, it is bored out to about 1750 anyway so it is close enough and I have heard parts like the crank are a nightmare to find on the 1800.

I don't know how many of the 2000cc engines they made but Chrysler got BRM to make a twin cam 16 valve head and got some Brazil 1800's and bored them out to 2000cc. it was to compete with the Ford BDA but it never really took off. it is a shame because that would be a really hot little engine.

The Avenger Tiger was a hot 1500 with dual webbers etc and uprated suspension. there was only 200 Mark 1s and 450 Mark 2s. Mark 1 was only available in yellow with a black bonnet bulge and the Mark 2 was available in red or yellow with a standard bonnet painted matt black.

They are super rare now which makes it pretty damn awesome that we have a member here with a genuine Mark 1 tiger. only 200 of them made and god knows hows few are left. I'm really excited about the idea of a Tiger coming to NZ. "avengertiger" would be the man to talk to about Tigers, He would know much more about them than me.

Yeah I did do the Reclaim the city run around Christchurch. that drive along the port hills was awesome. The city lights look so really nice from up there. did you go to MiN or the reclaim the city? if so what car were you in?quote]

I didn't have the money or time for MIN I did make it to the City run. I was driving the whote VG sedan viewtopic.php?f=17&t=23906

I think I saw the Avenga at the domain in the late 90s, ages ago.

Are you the guy I talked to before the cruise at the reclaim the city?

I took tons of photos from the whole of the south island cruise and at MiN. I don't know if I am allowed to link to other forums here but PM me if you are keen on seeing the pics.

is this your car?

P1020534.jpg

Yep I will be bringing the Avenger. I checked with work and they are sweet with me taking the arvo off so I will be down there for sure.

We can compare Avengers. I like the interior of your car. It is the same colour mine used to be. the old owners cut holes in the door car for some tiny little 4" speakers so I had to swap the door cards out with my old donor Avenger I had. it had a good set of door cards, darker tan with a carpet strip on the bottom. I also used some high back buckets instead of the stock seats.

How does your interior look? because I have some spare door cards and seats in your colour that I could be persuaded in to parting with.

How does your interior look? because I have some spare door cards and seats in your colour that I could be persuaded in to parting with.

its actually in really good shape apart from the dash and the drivers seat which has a few small rips in it. is still comfortable and supportive etc (as supportive as a 35 year old lowback seat can be haha)

I had to make some MDF spacers to stop my speakers hitting the door skin

6.5inch jobbies..

Mine are 6.5 inch also but I got away with not having to use spacers. I found that they use 2 different styles of those plastic door pouch. the black ones are much deeper than the tan ones. I found this out because I did my measuring and test cutting on an old tan one I had laying around and it would fit perfectly with heaps of room to spare so I went and cut a black one and the speaker hit the door. I layed them beside each other and the black one was about an inch deeper than the tan one. so what I did was use a tan back half spray painted black and a black front half.

P1000953.jpg

its actually in really good shape apart from the dash and the drivers seat which has a few small rips in it. is still comfortable and supportive etc (as supportive as a 35 year old lowback seat can be haha)

Yeah dash and drivers seat is always buggered.

My low back drivers has a small rip on it but my passengers is perfect from memory. both are really good in terms of springs and comfort. I can take some better pictures if you like.

• 4 months later...

For now GPS speedo until I get my new alpine dashboard in then I will make up a cable to suit. The Avenger one is a bit to short to reach and the Super and Alpine dashboards have a different connector on the back of the dashboard so it is no point making a cable now when I plan to change it shortly anyway.

I have been using the GPS speedo for a while now and I really like it. My old speedo used to wobble like anything so it was easier just to use a GPS speedo.

P1010185.jpg

The speedo history of my Avenger isn't the greatest so I am sure it won't matter about a few thousand KM's missed. I will be doing my new dashboard and working speedo in after the OS nats.

And I will keep a log of what driving I do and work out a rough distance with google and keep them in a log book as I can add it back on when I do the new dashboard and for servicing etc.

I don't know what the old owner was doing with the odometer but it was going crazy in 2004-2006.

16,626 2006, August 29th WOF inspection 8.81/3,206

14,741 2006, January 27th WOF inspection odometer decrease -131,589.00

146,330 2005, September 12th WOF inspection 180.43/65,678

109,875 2005, February 22nd WOF inspection odometer decrease -76,936.00

186,811 2004, July 30th WOF inspection 27.00/9,828

186,757 2004, July 28th WOF inspection 877.57/319,437

19,104 2004, January 19th WOF inspection 262.06/95,390

6,263 2003, December 1st WOF inspection 0.25/91