Rattling in clutch/gearbox

slickyddyer

Ive put a 5 speed in my mk 2 cortina 1600 but has a rattle now from bellhousing area. Noise goes away when clutch is depressed. (Ruling out TO bearing!)

Its quite loud. I used the original flywheel, lightened and had it mated to a sierra pressure plate and clutch. (new clutch kit, including TO bearing)

Thought rattling was gearbox so removed it and had it rebuilt but put it back in and same rattling!

Iv heard of lightweight flywheel chatter but I think something else as it's very loud and must be doing damage somewhere.

Any other ideas?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

flywheel sounds like it could be coming off?

This is common if unbalanced or extreme revs in Holden 6's

Generally the rattling goes away with clutch in and revs raised.

The above sounds like rattly knock.

Remove and check its going on flush, check bolts are correct length, if it is then dont run it til you fix it.

A rattle can also be pressure plate fingers loose

Remove and check its going on flush, check bolts are correct length, if it is then dont run it til you fix it.

I did flywheel bolts up real good with rattle gun, but will check when removing gearbox tomorrow after visit to gearbox place that just dun it. see what they say.

Pressure plate was brand new..

Whats the chances these parts I got are faulty?

I did flywheel bolts up real good with rattle gun, but will check when removing gearbox tomorrow after visit to gearbox place that just dun it. see what they say.

Pressure plate was brand new..

Whats the chances these parts I got are faulty?

umm im sure flywheel bolts are ment to be torqued up not rattle gunned as this can damage them

i would not touch a rattle gun on flywheel bolts.... This could be the problem.

I use a torque wrench and use the specified settings and loctite, this still came loose so I have now added lock tabs to mine and this has now stopped the problems I had.

Mine was a situation where the Holden 6's have a well known harmonic vibration at around 6000rpm (max revs was 5400rpm) and my engine revs to 7000, I now try and change at 5900 or push through the harmonics area.

I use a torque wrench and use the specified settings and loctite, this still came loose so I have now added lock tabs to mine and this has now stopped the problems I had.

Mine was a situation where the Holden 6's have a well known harmonic vibration at around 6000rpm (max revs was 5400rpm) and my engine revs to 7000, I now try and change at 5900 or push through the harmonics area.

I dont have vibrations. I have a rattling clutch or something. Only at idle. A lumpy idle. Goes away clutch in.

I dont have vibrations. I have a rattling clutch or something. Only at idle. A lumpy idle. Goes away clutch in.

rattle guns might be ok on wheels but definetely not engine parts and particularly parts that could remove your feet if it parted company.

I was more saying my scenario to point out that sometimes pushing engines past what they were designed for can produce unknown issues, The 6000rpm vibration is not noticeable but we know its there as in the 1970s it caused all sorts of issues including spinning the factory harmonic balancer on its rubber mount and loosening flywheels and fatigued pistons and rods prematurely.

It was only a electric rattler. not a bad boy air one. not much grunt to them compared to air.

Ok now your done telling me off... hehe do you think it could be a bad pilot bearing? only thing not new in that area..

:) now for the real stuff.

Ok so do you know what torque the bolts are meant to be?

Do you know what torque they are now?

As Jake said you may have damaged the bolts.

Over tightening can stretch them and make them come loose easily.

Under tightening can cause them to come loose.

If you are sure it is a rattle/knock coming from there then it doesn't leave much and you need to look at it all thoroughly as if you spin this to 6000rpm just remember that a 7-9kg steel wheel with teeth is spinning at 100 times a second and if it comes off will saw through anything it comes in contact with and thats a reality.