takes a while to start after sitting?

Beaver

my viva would crank over for what seemed like hours on end until it caught on when it was cold first thing in the morning. Often just the right amount of choke would get it running. Though once it was mildly warm it would start just by looking at the ignition key.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

most places do em for free - but they will nearly ALWAYS say your battery is poked..

A cheats way to do it for yourself is to remove your coil lead and take off the acid fill caps to look inside your battery - have someone crank over your car while you look inside the battery with a torch - if you see many small bubbles rising on one or more of the holes its a fairly good indicator the cell/s are poked..

you may need to wind over the engine till it slows down to half its normal cranking speed for this to take effect...

also if your battery is more than 3 years old its most likely done its dash - they do last longer but the expected lifespan for a car battery is 2 years..

What KK said + you could try the battery reconditioner stuff you put in the cells to clean all the scale and shit off the plates.

Oh and clean those contacts up, go nuts with a wire brush on everything and make that shit sparkle.

Some grease on the battery terminals will stop it getting some fuzzy white stuff growing on thurr.

I'm just having a similar problem. I guess the reason for a long crank over is just about endless.

Currently the old Hillman will crank for half a minute when it’s cold in the morning and then will work like new for the rest of the day.

I decided to do a compression test. When cranking the motor over with no plugs in it, #2 cylinder was squirting antifreeze out the sparkplug hole and all up my arm. So put the plugs back in and it work fine now.

Compression test is spot on when the motor is hot. Plus no sign or oil in the water or vice versa.

The head gasket must of fixed itself or it has a cracked cylinder sleeve is most likely, in my case.

So yea could be anything.

right. Its fucking cold here at the mo, everything is iced up and it wont fucking start. i even got up for my 8am lecture! dirty cunt.

anyways, the negative terminal/lead on the battery gets well hot, and then where the positive lead bolts to the starter solenoid thingy, it also gets well hot. Is this just from me trying to start it? or could that mean something isnt right?

might just invest in a big fuck off battery

edit - oh i forgot to say, it was turning over really slow to start with, and now the battery is rather flat from trying to start it (fucking left the jumper leads at home)

edit - oh i forgot to say, it was turning over really slow to start with, and now the battery is rather flat from trying to start it (fucking left the jumper leads at home)

That is a big problem

DO THIS - "I might just invest in a big fuck off battery"

AND THIS....

fit a new power lead from the battery to the starter motor solenoid - like this

batterycable.jpg

fit a new earth lead from the battery to the engine block (close by the starter) - like this

b2825703c26945a78e9e1e8e7cff20cd-image.jpg

and an earth lead from the block to the body - like this

Battery%20Cable.jpg

Not really.

Most are attached to the engine mount/cross-member bolts.

Seems weird to attach it to an inlet manifold. Is the inlet cast iron or alloy? If it's only getting contact from the top half of the cable mount against the bottom of the bolt head, that would be a bit hamburgers.

sorry, its the exhaust manifold (its early morning...haha) ad its cast. Ill shift it anyway, try find a bolt on the block.

Ill pull all the leads off an d clean them all (they arent visibly crudded up but you never know) and relocated the block earth. See if that helps before I splash out on new bits and bobs

^ good plan. Would pay to check every and clean every high current connection, just to be sure they are working effectively. Just changing it from the exhaust manifold to the block may solve the issue too. I can't imagine it would be a particularly good conductive path.