needle/roller bearing top hats

jofish

131 is similar to that

frontsuspension2.jpg

I've been trying to get my head around how coilovers are supposed to go for a while though. like in the above setup the spring is mounted to the body pretty much and the top is fixed apart from the rotation (from the needle thrust bearing). and the geometry changes in the angle of the shock are taken up in the rubber mount.

now in coilovers does the spring seat normally mount to the bottom of the spherical bearing? and ALL of the load goes through the bearing and the top hat to the body? rather than the srping mounting to the body and transferring the load directly?

• 1 year later...

It could be worth looking in to the USA made "Ground Control Camber plates" they specifically advertise the following from their website

"The Ground Control camber/caster plate uses an unconventional method for supporting the car. Every other camber plate, both US and Chinese (Japanese and Australian are usually made in China), uses a single bearing to support the side loads and the weight of the car. The Ground Control camber/caster plate uses one articulating bearing to locate the strut shaft only, and a completely seperate bearing to support the weight of the car around the central bearing, and having no contact or influence on the rating of the central bearing."

I believe these are the only Camber plates available that don't use the conventional "spherical bearing only" design.

I think some coilover brands have the needle roller bearings as pictured above or additional washers that at greased up to reduce bind in the coil over shock assembly

http://www.ground-control-store.com/pro ... php/CA=229

Yeah not really sure in the point of these when running a spherical bearing in the top hat like most camber plates. Anyone know why one would run them?

If I'm thinking about this correctly, the spherical bearings don't like axial loads, the reason you use spherical bearings is to support the axial misalignment that occurs when you start adjusting things. The cylinder/needle bearings shown would support the axial loads.

I could be completely wrong though, I'm also stuck in oldschool suspension design...