1GFE Timing belt

Vintage Grumble

Hello, I hope to do timing belt and water pump on altezza this weekend, was just hoping someone might be able to help me with the bolt torque settings, and if there is anything odd I need to know about said procedure? Local toyota parts guy is a bit slack, but will try him if I have to, cant find info on the net. First one ive done with hydraulic tensioner, this sets the tension im guessing, so you dont have to put said amount of tension on belt at said point to get so many mm of movement? (silly Q I know, but best to check) Any help would be rippa.

Cheers.

I haven't personally done a modern 1gfe only the old clunkers. But if the tensioner is same as other toyotas I've done you just press (chuck it in a vice) it closed then hold it closed with a pin, but 50% of the time they fuck out.I pretty much change the tensioner with every cambelt as I have seen them fail and make your engine have some extra cam timing variance and sound like a tractor. The new one will come closed up with a pin in it, install pull the pin and your done.

Make sure you do the crank pulley nut up tight

^ Aint done that, yet. Well didnt get this done as Whakatane toyota suck, the parts guy only works every second sat or some shit, so couldnt get any info from them, went in today, and they dont have any info any way, so that was neat, all the mechanic could tell we was "theres something weird about how you fit the tensioner, but I cant remember what" and the book that shows how to fit every cam belt in the world dont list 1gfe's, so im still at a lost on torque settings and whats weird about the tensioner :(

According to toyodiy:

diag_1iKa26S.png

That's your timing belt system.

Looks like it's only a normal tensioner to me/no hydraulic doofer.

Will be a piece of piss if that's the case, just slam everything on and line marks up.

When you put the tensioner on, hold it over til it's backed off maximum and do up the bolt tight.

Slip belt over, keeping tension on the belt on the opposite side of the tensioner.

Release the tensioner bolt so it' takes up the slack in the belt, apply a wee bit of extra force to the belt if you don't trust the spring.

This is all assuming that the picture is the same as your motor.

I'll have a look at the tensioner listed for your car at work when I'm there next, cos that picture isn't giving me 100% confidence.

Thanks for that, but it def has a hydraulic tensioner, as I already have all the parts. Im currently going through the NZ/OZ altezza club site to see if I can find the info I need, but im starting to think i'll just do it and see what happens, if all those spannerz watsons out there can do it, a fucking ace mechanic like myself should be able to figure it out ok :D

• 6 years later...

Draging this thread back up,

• Was there anything special to do other then bolting the tensioner on then pulling the pin out once the belts back on?
  • Also when installing the waterpump do you need to use sealant on the gasket or do you just bolt it up and away you go (its a full steel gasket)?
  • And does anyone know the torque specs for cam pully bolt? Gonna do cam seal well its apart and will need to take pully off, it comes with a new bolt so i presume they are a one use bolt.