'88 SUPER carry, aka "The MicroVan"

P_Star

As you are probably all aware, I purchased the mighty Carry off that Pies character. Took the train from Akl to Wlg to pick up the bad boy then drove it back... Adventures were had as per:

Campsite 1... Kimberly reserve, freedom camping area we stumbled upon... awesome

P3209464Medium.jpg

Bridge to nowhere: in the middle of a field, replaced the flying fox the fax plantation workers used to use to get across the river, now just a cool looking dilapidated monument to the past, I like it

P3209490Medium.jpg

P3209496Medium.jpg

P3209525Medium.jpg

van + Road = Win!

P3209499Medium.jpg

river valley by Mangaweka (iirc)

P3219607Medium.jpg

Serial Killer road, went like this for ages... ended in a large(ish) round clearing... which we promptly cleared out of! Drove along this tiny, forestry track thing for ages looking for alternate campsite for the riverside (below) decided it wasn't that cool so went back to "Plan A".

P3219615Medium.jpg

P3219622Medium.jpg

When that didn't pan out we headed back to riverside (not that riverside!) and it looks to be a mint campsite or at least it seemed so before the river decided to come say hello... 20 minutes from when the pics were snapped the river was up to the back wheels... frantic 4wding (Burnouts in the Waikato River for someone who wanted desert rd bowts) ensued in the little rwd machine. 1000ccs of power saved the day.

P3219624Medium.jpg

P3219627Medium.jpg

Suzuki Carry 1, Waikato River 0

P3219629Medium.jpg

after abandoning the river.. stumbled over this stunning free camping area, massive and organised... with a sign that said "rest area" we got well lucky with the sleeping locations.

P3219630Medium.jpg

The bugs however were less lucky.

So the van has a few issues... Non functional tail lights, reverse lights, high beam and dash lights... along with the minor issue with it pissing oil out of somewhere...

I figured I should start getting some of this stuff sorted... so I went and bought some paint and a compressor lol. Anyway after some fevered sanding/masking/spraying the Microvan is now painted in a mix of Hitachi (makita? I forget) Orange and Arctic white... which is just cream really. looks great, am thinking now I should have gone brown and cream but fuckit, looks good and isn't toooooo bad a job considering is only the second vehicle I have ever painted.

Plans are plentiful if non-complicated, maybe some wheels, maybe some lower, definitely repair the issues, maybe new engine, definitely replace some missing bits and drivers seat...

Pics of painting process and finished product when I get to my comp... probably tonight.

^^^^ Cheers dude,

Ok, mainly just some pictures of the painting process.

Sanding is fairly boring... hence no pics of that bit, however here she is stripped of extraneous bits... actually no, they don't appear in the bucket of photos so heres primer time!

P4040041.jpg

P4040039.jpg

P4040050.jpg

driving and painting... talent right there yo!

P4040069.jpg

I am as big as the van...

P4040076.jpg

The sun shines out it's ass... true story!

P4040086.jpg

Was house sitting at the folks... they has garage... no dad honest, no primer overspray on the Miata LOL

and a terrible pic of it primed up... ps: I am not responsible for the photography!

P4040035.jpg

P4040089.jpg

I am the ROCK GOD of paint lolzor

Ok, so then it was MORE masking to get the stripes shot in a creamy/ivory sort of colour... my lovely assistant described it as "French Vanilla" sounded a bit girly to me so Im going with whats on the can... "Arctic White"

P4050098.jpg

P4050100.jpg

P4050099.jpg

That'l do for now... there are some pics of it finished, and back together (it is back on the street now) but the photo's are shit and not uploaded yet, my camera returns to me tonight so will grab some proper pics over the next few days...

Do still have this electrical problem though... anyone have a tame autosparky in central AKL per chance???

yeah... the old dust mask wasn't my wisest choice but by the time paint time came I realised (too late) that I probably should have procured a proper mask... oh well the enamel will stop the cigarette smoke ruining my lungs??? lol

Uterus... auto sparky? Auckland? PM sending.

• 1 month later...

I am seriously considering getting back into a ute to be honest... throw canopy on and still have campability plus load carrying capability. Just a matter of procuring one for the right money... did enjoy my L200 sport and would gladly own another. but yeah a ute may just be the ticket although i would dig some of that modern abs/airbag stz unfortunately that sort of modern techery may be well beyond reach atm

Legs = not overrated, at least not now that they are being a problem... I miss 'em already luckily all will be well in a couple weeks... had it been a couple of kms faster i would have been in a very bad way :oops:

will strip the dash out on the weekend and see if it is recoverable (ie recoverable with my limited tools/knowledge... aka big hammer)

otherwise will just sell as is/part out or best case scenario find a reasonably ok one in a feild dereg'd and swap some bits over into that... gutted as just had like $600 worth of work done for the wof, new bearings all round, shock eye bushes etc etc :(

in the meantime anyone have free/cheap legal daily/pos floating about?

• 1 year later...