Land Rover of death :/

UTERUS

So, i bought a 1996 disco, 300tdi engine, manual.

It's slow, real slow.

Things it does:

1) Has a tapping sound like the valve clearance is too big.

2) Very slow to accelerate compared to my old mans disco (but his has had the injector pump fiddled, more poost and is auto)

Things i have done so far:

1) I have installed a boost and egt gauge to see what's goin on inside and it runs stock boost (1bar) and on the brakes in 3rd on full boost it got up to 480 degrees.

2) I have checked compression, 300psi on all cylinders

3) Checked valve clearances, they all appear to be sweet.

4) Had the lift pump off and checked that it jizzes out fuel when hand primed, i couldn't see any diesel bug at this end

I also have a workshop manual for this model.

Much appreciated

Sparky

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definately an engine problem.

My brother is parts manager for land rover spares in auckland, he plugged his diagnostic jobby in and there is nothing unusual there.

He did mention it is a lot more sluggish than identical rovers.

cam timing/injector pump timing?

is it getting enough fuel? at half throttle most diesels will pull their biggest boost number so the fact it's making full boost doesn't necessarily mean it's getting full dose of coal.

is there's excessive smoke out the back?

how's that pyro reading compare to other LRs?

I'll check cam timing tomorrow, if that fails i'll take it to stag 4x4 and get injector timing checked.

I can't see any smoke under boost, or the transition from light throttle to full throttle.

Pyro reads relatively normal

I know this is hardly a comparison but when I had the Delica I wanted to do a compression test but my gauge only went up to 270ish psi, and on the Delica forums they all say it should have 400psi at least, and this particular engine has a CR of about 20:1 from memory, which is why I didn't do the check as my gauge would have been blown to pieces.

nah disel dont have cats , too much particles in them , would clog up immediatly.

i reckon diesel bug could have taken hold .. shits annoying ...if you find smily shit anywhere in the fuel side of this ...strip clean throughly and run biocide shit for at least 5 tankfuls ... and dont let it sit there .. aka use car everyday to get rid of it ... and change filters after cleaning and after a month .. shits like rust if you dont annihilate it

I didn't think they had Cats.

If this was a Nissan Patrol the advice would be to super carefully remove the MAF sensor and clean it with cotton wool and IPA. After that the guys clean their intercoolers too as they get all sooty/oily from the EGR (which they block off). Evidently these things make a huge difference to power but I am a diesel noob

If this was a Nissan Patrol the advice would be to super carefully remove the MAF sensor and clean it with cotton wool and IPA. After that the guys clean their intercoolers too as they get all sooty/oily from the EGR (which they block off). Evidently these things make a huge difference to power but I am a diesel noob

oh yea... intercoolers too .. those things get chocka full of oil due to diesel being diesel , egr can also tend to fill the inlet manifold full of carbon thinkg the shit on your valves but 10x worse in your inlet manifold

oh yea... intercoolers too .. those things get chocka full of oil due to diesel being diesel , egr can also tend to fill the inlet manifold full of carbon thinkg the shit on your valves but 10x worse in your inlet manifold

Ahh yeah diesel bug is rife atm. It was over summer anyway.

Dad has been doing a few every week.

Car std's.