POR15 vs Smooth surfaces?

nothingsfree

All this talk bout POR15 not sticking to smooth metal has brought up a question for me...

Iv got a Rx7 subframe getting sandblasted at the mo, will POR stick straight to a sandblasted surface, or is there something else I need to use.

Or any other procedure youd recommend? Needs to be hard wearing, and not too expensive, its only a subframe after all...

depends on the grade of media they use, itl stick to a coarse blasted surface, but if they use a fine media it will still bond but not as well, if the surface of the steel feels like a sheet of 320grit sand paper then your good to go

tbh id just use crc black zinc cus im a tight cunt and it seems to do the job :lol:

i used por15 on my diff housing and my control arms

scoured the fuck out of both and it worked well on my arms but it has chipped off in a few places on the diff like people have said it does

sandblasting should be sweet for it to key into, best ur guna get id say

I used por 15 straight onto sandblasted suspension bits, worked sweet. Just try not to get your oily fingers all over it :)

But you'll be sweet with sandblasted components. The main thing to remember with POR 15 is you can't use solvent based anything near it or it won't stick. The metal etch they supply is water based for that reason. Its can also brush on with relatively good results (not show quality but fine for under car etc)

general rule I use with por 15 is the shittier the surface the better it adheres - Ive seen it put onto freshly stamped hot rod chassis rails and it peels off in sheets after a year or two..

sandblasted surfaces should be ideal for POR15 adhesion..

use the UV resistant shit if the paint is going to be exposed to sunlight..

also after opeing tin make sure you put a film of gladwrap between the tin and lid when you close it - will stop it forming a skin and going off.

2nd also - don't get it on your skin - it will only wear off over a few weeks - its near impossible to clean off..

Sweet, yeah its an industrial sandblaster doing the work, so imagine itl be good an rough.

How much is that POR metal prep?

Is it worth cleaning it down with that first, or will something like meths be fine to wipe it down with before painting?

Cheers

'POR15' is a whole system, for best results use it for the whole job.

1, marine clean to clean it

2, metal ready to etch/etc the metal

3, paint with por15

Whereever you buy it from should be able to supply you all the info sheets as to how to use it. Its good stuff, just has to be done right otherwise don't waste your time using it.

Its all I use now, have done a whole floor with it, and it looked like new 1-2 years on. (then sold it) All 3 stages of the job are about as thin as water, so coverage is huge.

Sweet, yeah its an industrial sandblaster doing the work, so imagine itl be good an rough.

How much is that POR metal prep?

Is it worth cleaning it down with that first, or will something like meths be fine to wipe it down with before painting?

Cheers

'POR15' is a whole system, for best results use it for the whole job.

1, marine clean to clean it

2, metal ready to etch/etc the metal

3, paint with por15

Whereever you buy it from should be able to supply you all the info sheets as to how to use it. Its good stuff, just has to be done right otherwise don't waste your time using it.

Its all I use now, have done a whole floor with it, and it looked like new 1-2 years on. (then sold it) All 3 stages of the job are about as thin as water, so coverage is huge.

Ditto

Use gloves too, dunno whats in that shit but the place i get it from has a big sign saying 'Please take a data sheet if buying POR15 products'. Oh and the proper mask (i just set up a fan blowing towards my head last time but will get proper safety shit next time).