any tricks for prolonging syncro life?

RUNAMUCK

I have a problem, The synchro's in my datto are a distant memory. New ones cost the earth. (Like $45USD each) I'm likely going to find another used gearbox, and make it fit my bellhousing. (It's a rare as rocking horse shit 63a dogleg 5spd for an A series datsun) I pretty much drive my car like I stole it, and run it at the drags as often as I can. Many of my mates who are burdened with machanical sympathy, cringe at the sight of my shifts.

Apart from not chopping gears so voilently, (not really an option here people) is there any tricks to making my synchro's handle the jandle?

I'm not far away from cracking 13's, and I really want to get there this year.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Double clutch through gears

granny shifting instead of double clucthing like you shouldve , your lucky you ddnt blow the synchros!!.

but yea double clutch helps ..only is you rev match as well , otherwise it can cause even more wear

okay, so lets assume I'm a granny shifter. Can someone please explain these principles to me? I just rev my car til it goes flat, then kick the clutch just long enough to grab the next cog. Sometimes I barely even lift my right foot.

I'll be nicer to my gearbox if there's a way to do it without taking longer to change gears.

maybe. But then I'd be replacing what ever I used instead just as often. So I'd be no further in front. I'm sure I nread once sumwhere that you can do something to the rings to help the oil out so that they grip the tapered faces they run on better, (And faster) and (Maybe?) last longer.

You could try giving them a big smoke up.

With the car idling in neutral apply pressure to the stick as if your trying to put it in gear but don't put your foot on the clutch. You will notice the car slowly try to move forward. That's the syncros.

Has worked in various cars but is just a quick fix and probably just wears them out more.

I was told not to use a gear oil with a rating higher than GL4 the higher ratings have additives that can affect the soft metal parts of an older gearbox (brass syncros etc.).

Not sure how important this is but the oil is cheaper so win/win

Thanks for the tip simon. I might try that. I might also try switching to a thinner oil. I've got another box lined up, but the guy is very reluctant to sell it to me. I'm going to take him for a ride to convince him of why I need it so badly. Striaght cut gearboxes don't even use synchro's I wonder how they get away with that? Otherwise the box is noise free. (I replaced all the bearings when I 1st fitted it to my bellhousing. The gayest part is that in order to fit my input shaft to a new box, means replacing $200 worth of bearings. (Give or take)

what you can do with worn syncros (tho this is of no use to you im sure)

is "borrow" the syncro from another gear

(also helps when your 1st and reverse are straight cut)

for example - when putting it in first you would move the gearstick halfway into 2nd to get the syncro lined up - then wack it into 1st

I've done that in the past with other gearboxes I've owned. 5th gear is the best one to steal from cos you never change down into 5th. So it's normally the least worn. 2nd and 3rd on my box are completely fisted. It's a full blown cunt that it wrecks many of the bearings to pull it apart. Although if I borrow a clamshell puller, I might kill a few less that I other might. I supose the plan might be to rebuild the one in there now, while I'm abusing the one i hope to get soon.