Cheviot Hotwire Baked On Paint Removal

Elmo2003

hey there guys

i am trying to remove the ugly gold paint from my set of cheviot hotwires i have tried areosol paint stripper but no luck

any one had the same problem

if so any ideas ov how to remove it via chemicals without having to get the old sandpaper out

take tyres soak overnight in soda crystals

That wont get the paint off. Will just get them real clean.

From now on I will only ever acid dip wheels. No harm to alloy and the paint comes off like jelly.

Then if the alloy has corrosion under the paint a bead blast gets it perfect. There is a difference between bead and sand. Beads are glass and arnt as harsh on the alloy.

Then if the alloy has corrosion under the paint a bead blast gets it perfect. There is a difference between bead and sand. Beads are glass and arnt as harsh on the alloy.

Using beach sand is dangerous, as is using glass. Using glass isn't as harsh on what you're blasting, but will stick into whatever you are blasting. Garnet ftw imo. Doesn't break down like the others and is safer to use. Still not safe to use, but of those 3 types, its better, use all the safety gear too imo.

I haven't blasted wheels with it yet, but have done smaller parts in my blasting cabinet and the garnet does a good job which leaves a surface perfect for painting.

I got this branded garnet from a local blasting company (big company and its all they use) http://garnetsales.com/ ~$40 for 25kg. No good if you are just going to spray it all around ya back yard though :lol: