anglia4's anglia zetec

anglia4

MATLAB.

KILL IT WITH FIRE.

AIIIEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEIFAJEFIAEFJAOEIFJAEF.

You voluntarily code in that...? I don't know what to say. Aside from that I hate matlab :lol:

I am envious of your CAD model though, I never had the patience/I'm not redesigning my car :P

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good mate, are you looking to ditch the struts and go for a wishbone setup? I was thinking about doing something like that at one stage. I will be most interested in seeing how you get on.

if you do you should keed the whole setup nice and low then ditch the zetec and go for a v8, that would be sweet.....

Matlab is all I know!

I started modelling it like that cos I did an FEA course at uni and we learnt how to do simple beam and bar element models using matlab. I wondered if I could use bar elements and clever boundary conditions to model the movement and hey presto it worked.

Was easy for doing a bump travel analysis, but then I decided to extend it to model how the chassis would roll about its roll center, taking into account the fact that the roll center moves.

This is where it gets complicated, it initiates with a bar element model and calculates the static roll center, then uses that to generate a beam element model (you can add rotational boundary conditions to a beam element but not a bar) of the chassis only, rotates it around the roll center, uses the new outputs of the beam model as the inputs for the bar model, calculates where the roll center is now, and starts the process again.

The program is almost 1000 lines long :lol:

The above post most likely makes no sense to the general population/engineers are superior beings.

Yeah didtching the struts and going for double wishbone.

A v8 would be very fun, I actually have the beginnings of a chassis model for a trans-am spec anglia on my computer since I have a spare shell and all but nah not going to bother with that now.

The aim for this car is handling over power, having a big heavy v8 balanced over the front of my 700kg anglia would not be very helpful for that.

I'm looking forward to seeing what I can wring out of my supercharged zetec though.

Felixx, the struts are already in the parts for sale section!

Matlab is all I know!

I started modelling it like that cos I did an FEA course at uni and we learnt how to do simple beam and bar element models using matlab. I wondered if I could use bar elements and clever boundary conditions to model the movement and hey presto it worked.

Was easy for doing a bump travel analysis, but then I decided to extend it to model how the chassis would roll about its roll center, taking into account the fact that the roll center moves.

This is where it gets complicated, it initiates with a bar element model and calculates the static roll center, then uses that to generate a beam element model (you can add rotational boundary conditions to a beam element but not a bar) of the chassis only, rotates it around the roll center, uses the new outputs of the beam model as the inputs for the bar model, calculates where the roll center is now, and starts the process again.

The program is almost 1000 lines long :lol:

The above post most likely makes no sense to the general population/engineers are superior beings.

How well commented is your code? I'm keen for a squiz, PM it to me :)

We did ODEs with numerical methods and laplace transforms in MATLAB earlier this year, but I generally use python for all high level programming now.

• 5 months later...

Awesome project man!

I too would be interested in having a look at the code if thats all good. Just interested in seeing how you did it, not going to go round distributing it. Everyone seems to love to hate matlab, but once you get used to it its actually not that bad I reckon. Seems to be the standard for engineering simulations etc anyway, so worth getting used to.

I haven't run that code for a while, I think it still has a few bugs. I might send it out some time if I ever get it finished, its bloody hard to follow unless you understand finite element methods, and even then I suck at code so its hard as to follow.

At this stage I'm planning on using late cortina hubs. I was going to use MX5 but couldn't get the geometry to work with a few packaging problems. Then I was going to scratch build some, worked out the geometry I wanted/could get, and it turned out bloody similar to the cortina ones. So thats what I'll use in the current iteration of the plan.

• 3 months later...
Guest 77magnum13hundy

Thats quite a bit of panel work there, but once its done its done. This thing will go mental if you s-charge it as well as it being a dohc 2litre. Keep up the good work.

• 1 month later...

Haha cheers man!

Its been a while since I've worked on it so I don't think it got mentioned once at nats!

One day I would like to design and build race cars for a living, but I have a lot of learning to do yet on my own projects before I could do that.

Dad and I have just finished building a race car from a 95 mustang. I've read a few suspension tuning books so I've got a good grip on the theories, but i've found it really all comes together once you start driving it (and I've only raced it once so still alot of learning to go!) Its not until you have a drive and feel what the car is doing, make some changes and see the improvements in feel and lap times, thats when you start to do the real learning. As I said, I've only driven it once and I've already got big ideas for the next round of improvements!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Its been so bloody long since I've worked on this thing I really don't know where to start anymore.

There is still alot of panel work to do, lots that I want to do again as well. But I'm pretty over that so I might start on some of the custom fab soon.

I've finished my pedal box design so I'll get my cert man to look over it and then might start building that. Its just a good little sub project that I could knock out and make me feel better about the rest of the project 

• 3 months later...