Hillman 1725 engines

RT

Hey Boes,

My GF just bought a mint Hilly Superminx. Will get photos once it arrives.

Who can tell me about the Hillman 1725? I think they're about 80hp or something.

Don't want to bother trying to make this car fast, it's just a cruiser... (or crawler)

But I do want to get a couple of spare hp out of it to help keep up with traffic lol.

Anyone played with these?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno how similar these are to the avenger engines, but the same shit would apply.

If ya can find a twin carb setup (or just make one) slap that on there

Upgrade the ignition system to electronic

Probably the easiest things to do

the avenger engines are different to the 1725 engines. stud pattern is same as small ford, ie 4x108. look for some twin carbs, they float around on trademe. have been told that carb is the most restrictive aspect of the engine and is the first place to look for easy ponies.

hmmm.. don't think we can be bothered keeping twins in tune.

Maybe a single sidey, or a weber of some sort.

If the Avenger engine is similar enough maybe fit one of them in.

1725 is the same as the Hilly Hunter motor eh?

Could chuck a 32/36 weber on if you felt like making a manifold for it, should work sweet.

Otherwise upgrade to a bigger stromberg. It's probably a 150 on there, if ya can find one upgrade to a 175

On a side note my avenger engine is bored out to 1720 I think, higher compression, hot cam and twin carbs. Isn't going yet but should make a decent chunk of power. Don't know about interchangeability between engines though, they probably have different mounts and bellhousings

Heaps of manifolds availible for twin choke downdraft weber or solex, made locally too.

manifold.jpg

http://www.griffiths.co.nz/brands_wildcat.html

Used to be made by griffiths- now wildcat accesories, need extractors too as the inlet and exhaust manifold one piece.

Had a hot Superminx years ago, was surprisingly tuneable, had Weber twin choke, gas flowed head and volvo pistons for 1900 capacity. Good for 120mph with standard gearing, no exaduration.

Incredibly weak conrods though, known for punching nice big fun holes in blocks when worn out or making big hp

which they can make, Rootes group used this motor in the Sunbeams which did well at Le Mans etc

For touring find an overdrive gearbox out of a Rapier or Vogue, O and stay away from the alloy heads

and if it has one find a steel one and flow it.

Use the filter housing off the Hunter motor to convert it to spin on filter and get better flow and less leaks

plus Mitsubishi Lancer distributors fit, as per late model Hunter, get a electronic one ( who would of thought Mitsi's had a use?)

Keen for pics when it arrives

The Avenger engine and the Minx motor share no parts by the way

i have some hunter bits and pieces here if you need anything, a couple of 1725cc alloy head motors and a set of twin carbs/with rebuild kits with the mainifolds/linkages etc. was thinking of putting them on the hunter but could be persuaded to part with them

cheers

Karl

What's wrong with the alloy heads? Why would you want the iron ones?

Yeah don't really want the hassle of twin carbs since it's my GF's car.

Would prefer a manifold for a twin choke weber.

Keen on an electronic dizzy though and Hunter air filter housing if that is better.

nothing wrong with alloy heads as long as you dont get the motor too hot(which happens very easily with the lovely hillman problem of blowing headgaskets) Something about the block having a hot spot or something or rather. Heads warp easily.

so.. electric fans? bigger radiator or something?

Get alloy head crack tested and skimmed before porting.

Must save a lot of weight having a alloy head if the

engines anything like a pinto.