Hillman 1725 engines

RT

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yea pritty much. just finding a good one is the tricky bit. The motor outlast the car's body if it's looked after. so Just look for the normal stuff compreshion etc.. but do note the 1725cc doesn't have valve stem seal's, so does allow oil to travel down the intake valve stem and do end up with a carbon build up all over the show plus also tend to have hevy blowbye at revs when the throttle is closed suddenly due to a lack of stem seals. Most modern motors you would run and hide if you seen this carryon. Some of the latter motors like 76 or so had oil deflectors on the valve stem to limit this. I've had guys look at used 1725's to buy them and been put off with the carbon build up in the header and desided there no good.

Cheers,

Yeah this one has a lot of water build up and mayo under the rocker cover which would indicate blown head gasket, however it drives mint, all the plugs look fine, and there's no oil in the water.. so maybe moisture build up over so many years. I don't think the oil's been changed for quite a while.

Gonna flush it then see what happens, if the heads cracked then I'll put a alloyhead hunter motor in, 1500gt are yours hunter motors? Are there really many advantages with the hunter motor over the minx engines?

Mayo under the rocker cover could just indicate lots of short running.

Im guessing youve already given up on the idea of twin carbs but the myths about them going out of tune are largely exaggerated, Ive owned several cars with them and never had any issues provided they were set up correctly in the first place.

Cheers,

Yeah this one has a lot of water build up and mayo under the rocker cover which would indicate blown head gasket, however it drives mint, all the plugs look fine, and there's no oil in the water.. so maybe moisture build up over so many years. I don't think the oil's been changed for quite a while.

Gonna flush it then see what happens, if the heads cracked then I'll put a alloyhead hunter motor in, 1500gt are yours hunter motors? Are there really many advantages with the hunter motor over the minx engines?

yep both are from hunters, one is from a 77 and one from a 74.

i do also have a complete 67 hunter with an alloy head motor too

Sounds good to me, I'll talk to the GF and see what she wants to do. I suggested that we get one to store up in the shed uncase the minx engine ever lets go after it's 40 years of hardship. Can you explain what the internal differences/advantages are with the Hunter engines?

Sounds good to me, I'll talk to the GF and see what she wants to do. I suggested that we get one to store up in the shed uncase the minx engine ever lets go after it's 40 years of hardship. Can you explain what the internal differences/advantages are with the Hunter engines?

I guess being the alloy head motor they have more power and are a bit quieter other than that I dont know the differences/advantages sorry :?

• 2 months later...

just joind this site

i gta 78 hunter mint condition jut rebuilt the engine 500kms ago runs sweet

got wiv blown head gasket indicators didnt work wheel cylinders gone, pads gone, no wof no reg, all completly standard now it got :

Head welded, plained and fitted with new gasket

carburettor reset and adjusted

pull off springs re adjusted

new pads

new rear wheel cylinders

crank leak repaired

exhaust stopped smoking

rear bumper refinished

water leak fixed

new thermostat housing and water pump

new radiator hoses

new spark plugs

engine and cooling systems flushed

autogauge gauges installed (water temp, oil pressure, volts,vac/boost- (dash mounted))

type R 5" tachometer installed (dash mounted)

13" Cheviot modgies with brand new bridgestone 185/60/R13s

New front suspension ball joints

painted rocker cover

new gaskets

over heating problem solved

good oil pressure and no blow by

New air filter

New oil and oil filter

braked bled

aftermarket water temperature sensor installed and oil pressure sensor installed for autogauge gauges

bonnet cable fixed

choke and idle mixture reset

timing corrected with timing light

indicators fixed with new switch

":1fl2xs5y]

I guess being the alloy head motor they have more power and are a bit quieter other than that I dont know the differences/advantages sorry :?

Fuck forgot about this Hillman discussion, the main difference between the Hunter motor and earlier Arrow units which has been overlooked..

5 main bearings versus 3!!!!!!!

Stronger bottom end and much more balanced, the earlier motors were known for throwing conrods through the block and infact happened to me twice whilst engine braking/breaking in Minxes..

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck forgot about this Hillman discussion, the main difference between the Hunter motor and earlier Arrow units which has been overlooked..

WELL that is a BIG difference lol

Well the Hilly is running awesome now anyway.. put a chem weld in the head and that fixed it. :wink:

We're gonna run it as it is until is shits itself then we'll look at getting a Hunter unit. Or maybe get a hunter unit and store it so it's there when we need it. You still got them i500gt?

• 3 weeks later...

WELL that is a BIG difference lol

Well the Hilly is running awesome now anyway.. put a chem weld in the head and that fixed it. :wink:

We're gonna run it as it is until is shits itself then we'll look at getting a Hunter unit. Or maybe get a hunter unit and store it so it's there when we need it. You still got them i500gt?

yep still got 1 of them here.... gonna sell all my hunter stuff soon so let me know if you want it...

• 2 weeks later...