Making extractors

shavenYak

I'd like to know if it's possible, or advisable to arc-weld pressed steel pipe to make headers?

I've got access to these factory honda h22a exhaust manifolds through work for cheap:

JDM-EM-H22.jpg

and was thinking I could just chop up a few sets and put together a few bends into something that could work for the suzuki.

will I be wasting my time? Should I just buy pipe from somewhere, or save up some more and get someone else to make up some custom ones.

cheers!

Arc would be a pain in the ass on the thin tube

how do you mean, hard to control and all splattery? It's just that it's all I have access to, would it be impossible to get a good result? And I don't mind having to grind it smooth, as long as it's a strong weld and not too much crap on the inside of the pipe I guess

Ditto here.

May as well give it a try though... Just get some thin arc rods ~2mm or so and crank the amps right down. Just use the arc to tack everything into place and get someone with a mig or tig to touch it later on after you're happy with the shape.

Ditto here.

May as well give it a try though... Just get some thin arc rods ~2mm or so and crank the amps right down. Just use the arc to tack everything into place and get someone with a mig or tig to touch it later on after you're happy with the shape.

yeah that's something i was thinking about doing - tacking together would be fine to do with arc right? Do I want to leave a gap between sections or put them flush against each other?

thanks

May as well get them as close as possible to make it easier to mig / tig later on.

It'll still be a challenge :P ... I used an arc for my first "exhaust" attempt for my AW11 when I was 15...... Blew holes, then had to fill them constantly. Might have helped if the welder didn't have a broken heat adjustor...

dsc021527df.jpg

dsc021496ip.jpg

Without much experiance in stick welding you will find thin tubing very hard. By all means give it a go probably practace on some thicker flat material first though. Tube's a little harder than flat material to weld around. Mig is by far the easiest weather its the best is debatable but easiest it is.

May as well get them as close as possible to make it easier to mig / tig later on.

It'll still be a challenge :P ... I used an arc for my first "exhaust" attempt for my AW11 when I was 15...... Blew holes, then had to fill them constantly. Might have helped if the welder didn't have a broken heat adjustor...

dsc021527df.jpg

dsc021496ip.jpg

Hahaha oh to be 15.

Thats haggard :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ok anyway I've got my pipes and am hopefully gonna start chopping them up this weekend.

The suzuki is a 3 cyl 800cc beastie - and it will have this modified cam in it:

Advertised duration @.004 lifter rise: 282 degrees

Duration @ .050” lifter rise: 205 degrees

Cam lift: .254”

So my question is what kind of length should I aim for for each runner? I'm guessing there's some sort of formula or some such? Anything else should I keep in mind?

Gas welding works best for exhaust pipe.

Steve

agree , gas weld looks far better then mig on mild steel .

if you can get away with fusion welding it then do it .

but if yours just tacking then mig is good , arc sucks cos of the having to strike it first .

arc is good for bigblock materials not thin walled pipe i reckon , and take far more skill to weld