Faild wof on cut parcel tray?

rwdlancer

hey all. just wondering if anybody has faild a wof for having a cut rear parcel tray? it must be common in oldschool cars as most of them need to be cut to fit speakers in the back.myne in my ex lancer has been cut slightly in order to fit 1000w 6x9s in.i can see the original apeaker holes that it had still and hasnt been cut anywhere near the seatbelt mounts. so i cant see how this makes my car unsafe? but mr vtnz warrent man thinks so.

would i need to get a cert for this modification ?

anyone had experience with this in the past?

cheers

Yeah had to weld up the holes in the parcel tray on the mini to get WOF. I just used some sheet steel, didnt really care what it looked like.

Have to be careful though, because if you come back with welded stuff they can ask who welded it etc. I know of a friend who couldnt get a WOF because he welded something himself rather than going to a 'professional'. BS if you ask me

Yeah had to weld up the holes in the parcel tray on the mini to get WOF. I just used some sheet steel, didnt really care what it looked like.

Have to be careful though, because if you come back with welded stuff they can ask who welded it etc. I know of a friend who couldnt get a WOF because he welded something himself rather than going to a 'professional'. BS if you ask me

sounds suckey but the rear parcel tray is condsidered structural (which it is) , and to modify such things you need a 4711 as far as i know (thats for trucks though) , which is a welding cert. if you make it look good though most wof inspectors wont really care ( remember that its their asses on the line if you crash into a power pole of tree or whatever and they find that the rear parcel tray had been knocked back for modification and then the wof inspector gave it a wof ).

in saying that my first car (mk2 scort) had hacked trays and i never got knocked back

I got failed for a wof in my HQ Kingswood, for 6x9 speaker holes. Tester told me that the holes can not be 300mm from the seatbelt anchors. Lucky enough, i was able to change diagonal belts to lap belts. The whole parcel tray hole thingee is BS if ya ask me!

I got failed for a wof in my HQ Kingswood, for 6x9 speaker holes. Tester told me that the holes can not be 300mm from the seatbelt anchors. Lucky enough, i was able to change diagonal belts to lap belts. The whole parcel tray hole thingee is BS if ya ask me!

prehaps so man but those are the rules.. (feel like an old wof man that everyone hates now)

there is a reason for thhe rules in the cert book and although some seem tediously silly ( which some are ) , its the wof inspectors ass on the line

I have failed it. What I did was:

Get some thin 1-2mm strap which you can bend around to form a circle. Then bend it to the same size as the 'round' holes you have cut which your speakers fit through. Then weld the strap up in the right shape and then weld a circle patch onto the bottom forming a cake type tin I guess. Next is welding it up under the parcel tray. Make it slightly taller than it needs to be so you can stick it through the hole and weld it from the top then cut the excess off.

Thats what I did and it passed a WOF, this was years ago tho..

Gaz

so pretty much needs to be welded up by a certed wleder then.its bullshit cause it hasnt been cut any closer to the seatbelt mounts.the holes hace just been cut bigger towards the middle of the parcel tray and widened slightly. what would a cert cost for this? and how would they determine wether is safe or not

so pretty much needs to be welded up by a certed wleder then.its bullshit cause it hasnt been cut any closer to the seatbelt mounts.the holes hace just been cut bigger towards the middle of the parcel tray and widened slightly. what would a cert cost for this? and how would they determine wether is safe or not

The parcel tray is structural in most monocoque chassis designs, any interference or cutting of said tray should result in WoF failure.

The only thing I can think to do would be to either fab some steel up to fit the gaps or see if there's any at a wreckers and cut out the whole parcel tray then weld the thirds that you need, directly over your mangled one.

Your best bet might be to ask the WoF man what would be acceptable though.

Id say cut a parcel tray from a donor and weld it in would be the best bet. If you take your time and make a good job of it, you'd be able to make it look mint.

Ive got a shell sitting at home, but you'd have to do some convincing (as in good $ offer) to get me to cut it. :lol:

Ive been on the hunt for a wreck to get cutting away on.no luck yet.

Id say cut a parcel tray from a donor and weld it in would be the best bet. If you take your time and make a good job of it, you'd be able to make it look mint.

Ive got a shell sitting at home, but you'd have to do some convincing (as in good $ offer) to get me to cut it. :lol:

how much would u be expecting for the cut? is it just a parts shell or is it pretty complete?