Using sidedraft carbs as throttlebodies for an EFI setup?

ProZac

In a blue chevette me and CUL8R went halves in a while ago were a couple of gutted solex sidedrafts. Im wondering about the possibility of welding up all the excess ports and whatnot, and using them for throttlebodies on my DOHC 4g63. As the injector bosses are in the head, it takes care of that issue. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts.

Im not sure what size they are, have '165' on the throttleplate is thats any use.

Chur.

Youd need to run map sensors as would be cunty to settup with tps

A lot of ITB setups don't use map sensors due to using alpha-n code to tune. With stock cams you could probably get away with tuning with a map sensor as there will be more vacuum.

Silvertop itbs are so cheap so I wouldn't even bother fucking around with all the extra work to use carbs.

Agreed, for the $150 it costs for them its not worth bothering really. We could never get any vacuum to show up with it off idle so could perhaps be an issue if you go for no tps. Then if you do go with tps by the time you mash one on their it would have been quicker to just use 20v ones.

That said, I had R1 carbs and they still had tps so yours might too? And HEAPS of people over in the UK use bike carbs to make throttle bodies. Thats what I was going to do before I realised it would just be better to use 20v ones.

fuck yea! im so keen to roll my 2J N/A in the 51 with side draughts but keep the injection/computer etc.

i want it to look like a 4M but not suck the shit out of dead seagull's bums like a 4M.

something like this,

2Jkp10-2.jpg

2Jkp10-1.jpg

lay the tech shit on me my brown sista!!

i can handle the truth!!! i see the light!!

Getting a tps onto the side wouldnt be to hard i rekon, and would run a map sensor also, with four points taken from the manifold. Bit of fab work here and there. Main reason i was thinking about it is because it would look pretty cool. I rekon i'll have a play, if it turns to shit, nothing lost :). Cheers for your thoughts :).

Can you please explain forced? seriously. A carburettor does the same thing as a throttle body but controls fuel as well. They both control airflow via a butterfly type throttle valve.

edit: lol what he said. pwnd by the interweb

Wouldn't it be sweet so long as the quad throttle was sized equivalent to original.

There is a formula to work this out, forget where it is though, something to do with effective area of individual throttles in use at anyone time.

I guess it depends whether you just want it to look pretty , or actually run well. Realistically it'll run like a POS compared to the stock setup.

Steve

ITT: Anything that isn't dead stock runs like ass.

for size. generally long as you have a bit of taper (few degrees is good) from the throttle body down to the port. will be all good. not the best idea to go the other way, but would still work.

will only run like a pos if you try run it on stock ecu or suck at tuning.

Manufacturers are very good at designing everything and all modifications are a compromise at best, more often than not a modification will make your car run worse in many ways.

Going back into history a bit, cars had single carbies. The main problem with say one carb and 6 cylinders is that you don't get an equal amount of both fuel and air into each cylinder, some cylinders run rich while others run lean. Also a single carby is quite restrictive air wise.

So the likes of bike carbs and say weber DCOEs, the main advantage is that they give plenty of air but also give exactly the same AFR to each cylinder.

Port EFI is a lot better than a carby as the fuel is injected straight into the port.There's also less intake restriction than a carby, afterall a carby needs some sort of restriction to suck out the fuel.

The computer used on a 4G63 needs an AFM which of course needs to be mounted on a plenum, the AFM itsself causes a very minimal restriction to the intake but the AFM is the most accurate way of measuring air, which gives perfect drivability without flat spots, stalling, leanouts and also gives good power and good mpg.

So, you could probably get it working with the likes of a megasquirt but you'd need a clean vacuum signal. The problem with individual throttle bodies is that they only flow for about 30% of the time so give very strong pulses as opposed to a single throttle body which will almost flow constantly. 4 throttle bodies won't really give any difference to restriction than a single large one. To get a clean vacuum signal you need some sort of vacuum reservoir, which is another compromise between getting a clean signal and getting a signal which can change quickly.Of course you could smooth the signal electrically.

If you don't get a clean vac signal it willl be very hard to tune and a pig to drive, thirsty too.

As for alpha N, that's only good as a failsafe for when the AFM craps out.

If you're going to modify something you at least want it to be better rather than worse. No point in driving something that guzzles the gas either.

Another way of looking at it is to look at the factory high performance N/A motors and see what they do. Sure bikes use individual T/Bs probably really because there's no room for a plenum. Mitsi's top of the line N/A motors use a single T/B & map sensor.

It just seems to me like it's a another way of spending lots of money for no or minimal return.

How about LPG? (just to be different) Cheaper than petrol, cleaner burning, oil doesn't get dirty so quick,the motor will last nearly for ever, higher octane AND you can get more power out of it if you build the motor right. No computer needed either. Maybe nobody's into it because there's nobody to follow.

Steve

So... Your argument is don't ever bother modifying an engine because it'll never be as good as it was factory...

Right...

A factory engine is the biggest compromise of all. They are tuned to run in any possible condition, many of which they will never even see. This sacrifices power and fuel economy. Retuning a car for its specific purpose will give good gains over a factory tune even if nothing else on the engine is touched.

On top of that, not everyone gives a crap how economical or drivable their car is if their goal is more power, or just to be different.

Shit, if everyone thought like you, the automotive world would be a very boring place.

So... Your argument is don't ever bother modifying an engine because it'll never be as good as it was factory...

Right...

Dont be a dick

Cheers for response forced.

tps would eliminate most of the problems you mentioned leaving just hp to gain. i think for the most part itbs = awesome extra performance is an added bonus

It's all about putting lots of thought and planning into it and doing your homework properly. Working how much you're going to spend and working out how many $$ each HP is costing.

There's usually a cheap easy way around every problem it's just that the cheap easy ways don't get "pushed" as nobody makes money out of it. I do all my shopping at pick a part.

Anyway after my negative comments..... don't forget to dyno it first, put it up on here for us to see........ then dyno it afterwards. Then I'll be happy to accept that I'm wrong.

Steve