I want a more boostiful turbo

zep

Currently I'm rollin' a T3 from an RB25DET. I've been told not to run it over 12psi due to things chewing themselves out. So... what are my options? The T3 spools fast as and I'd like to keep it similar as my car dosen't rev that mega. Also, I kinda wanna keep the T3 flange as I'm lazy and also internally gated as I'm poor.

T3/4? One of those $500 jobbies of Trade Me? What say you?

Send it to Brendan at A1 and get same thing as the turbo I had built for the rona. Keeps exhaust housing for spool but goes to an AR 0.50 front cover/wheel from memory and rebuilds it for yew. All genuine garrett internals too.

Think it was around 600. But depends what you want to spend.

Could also look at a masterpower one, have heard decent things about them being cheaper but not shit like some of those copy ones are.

Edit, my old turbo made new

dscf0446mediumgt9.jpg

dscf0447mediumzr3.jpg

YEa a $500 etc one from trademe is a good start dude, but for $600 brendan rebuilding your existing one is the same thing basically but without it being all chineese parts (most of them are fine though). I have the exact thing on my soarer was good for 170Kw+ on a 4age should flow up to 200kw.

There are some slightly larger rear housing chineese ones if you want to go bigger again but they get pretty laggy, you'd want to go a well matched BB turbo if going for more serious stuff

^ thats what I'm saying dude the turbo on my soarer is ex Karl skews carina, no doubt from Brendan and its ht18 front housing better than going chinese for not much more $. Pm Alistair zep see what he can do. Then buy a beams as per nats discussion :D

Currently I'm rollin' a T3 from an RB25DET. I've been told not to run it over 12psi due to things chewing themselves out. ?

I don't think it's the boost that kills them, it's the revs, if you overspeed a turbo, it dies sooner.

So, it depends on the size of the motor you're running it on.

Steve

The 300zx turbs is the same T3 but with steel wheels which means boost can be wound up alot more.. Cheapest easiest option would be to get one of them, bolt it on and up boost. Could run same tune even if boost not upped.

Anyways it will allow you to run more boost which may not be exactly what you are after. if you have $$$ to burn go ballbearing. t28 off S15 or even off the facelift s14 would be my pick. Disco Potatoe as discussed if $$$ no probs.

Currently I'm rollin' a T3 from an RB25DET. I've been told not to run it over 12psi due to things chewing themselves out. So... what are my options? The T3 spools fast as and I'd like to keep it similar as my car dosen't rev that mega. Also, I kinda wanna keep the T3 flange as I'm lazy and also internally gated as I'm poor.

T3/4? One of those $500 jobbies of Trade Me? What say you?

I also vote the high flowed option

You need to firstly think about what your goal's are

How much more power do you want to make?

Where do you want to make this power?

Are you happy to lose some bottom end while gaining more in top end?

I don't think you can really make a decsion on you choose of turbo until you know the answers the to above questions

As for brands stay away from anything Chinese

Masterpower is a good option if you know what sizew turbo you require, Bazada off Toyspeed is very knowledgeable about this particular brand, maybe worth sending him a Pm or an e-mail with what your requirements are and see what he can offer you from the Master Power brand

The other option as mentioned by a few people above it to talk to Brendan from A1 turbos about what options you have avible to high flow your current unit

But rember jsut becasue you are putting more boost into a motor doesnt mean you are going to make more power

An example of this i have is from a friend expernce of turbed sr20's

He started with a non turbo s14 which he slapped a s13 t25 onto and had tuned to run 15psi with 1 extra rx7 injector, this set up made 158kw

He then picked up a s15 t28, which was fitted up the car was then strapped to the dyno and made 191kw on 10psi, it needed another extra injector to be fitted up as the airflow on 12psi form the t28 was so much more than the air flow from the t25 on 15psi

Best thing you can do is actually talk to someone who works with turbos, tell them what your answers to the above questions and they will come to you with the best solution

Steve Murch from Motorsport engineering is also very knowlegdeable on this subject, usally contactable via the MAP ecu website

Nup the Rb26dett are I think.
R34 only R33 and R32 turbos are standy
rb25det are bb arent they?
Yes Rb25 turbos are BB

yet again, what you "think" is wrong.

they have ceramic wheels and fly to bits at the drop of a hat.

That's hardly an intelligent answer.

If a "pro" was setting up a turbo on a car, they'd check the compressor map.

12PSI on a 2.5 is probably getting close to the edge of the map, 12PSI on a smaller motor probably isn't.

The main problem these days is that people choose turbos that are far too big and so the car drives like a POS cos it's got no bottom end power.They don't know how to read flow maps.

Steve

oh wicked!!

why not chuck a few pics up of your gto and put a project thread for everyone to see, sure alot of people would be interested like me!

On topic, try wind the boost up you can feel a big difference between 12 and 14 or 16, rb25 turbo run 14psi fine from my experiences

Its a far cheaper option at this stage, and the few extra psi might give you what your after

Nup the Rb26dett are I think.

as above. pretty sure just about all skyline turbos are bb

Only R34 got BB Turbos

rb25det are bb arent they?
Yes Rb25 turbos are BB

All Rb25 turbos?

Yes all RB25DET Turbos from Series 1 right through to the New Neo motors have BB turbos

Hey steve just interested in what kinda car/cars you got mate' date=' seem to be quite knowledgeable[/quote']

I'm into both turbo jappers and turbo V8s. Been destroying motors since 1977.

Bought the book "turbochargers" my hugh Mcinnes back in 1980, (books are far more valuable than internet opinions) turbo'd my 272 Y block in 82, converted it to CNG in 84, replaced with 351C in 87/88, switched over the turbo and CNG, put it on the dragstrip 90. to 93. Rested it up and got into Mitsis. Still got the fastest GTO down under AND the second fastest. only 12s though. I do ALL my own work too. People in the motor trade often tend to be either idiots or conmen......sorry getting OT.

The RB 25 turbos are OK, it's the RB26 turbos that fly apart....... but only when spun too fast.

Steve

Incorrect, all of these turbos will fly apart if forced to operate out of there effecnty range,

Thats why as you stated above look at a compressor map

ok skyline turbo rundown as there is alot of confusion in this thread.

Most skyline turbos are made under license by nissan, only the early ones had actual garretts. That said they are copys pretty much apart from the ones with ceramic wheels.

L20ET, late FJ20ET - T3 with small 0.42 exhaust housing

Early FJ20 - Large 0.63 exhaust housing T3

Early RB20DET in R31 skyline not 100% sure but I think T25 with T3 exhaust flange

R32 RB20DET - nissan made T25 with T3 flange, These have ceramic exhaust wheels and are prone to falling off over ~12psi or with excessive thrashing

RB25DET - Based around a T3 but they are a nissan turbo with a bigger compressor wheel than a normal T3, still with a ceramic exhaust wheel but have a better reputation than the RB20 ones (capable of supporting 200+rwkw on an RB25)

RB26DETT - Twin T25 (not T3 flange)

The old Z31 300ZX's had single turbos, T3's I think 0.63 housing on the 3L and 0.42 on the 2 litre. The VG30DETT in the Z32 twin turbo had twin T25's

The Best option would be to goto a GT25 or GT28, fast spool, modern design wheels which are more efficient across a wider operating range. that said they cost $1500+ usually

Getting this guy to modify one as alistair says sounds like a pretty good option value for money. Personally I think I'd still steer clear of the chinese turbos, spence seems to have had ok luck? and same with some garage dori guys - but I know a couple of other people who have had them fall to bits as well.