Keltik's yerrow Beauty Hiluxatron

MACKAZ

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

air locker plz.

also cv kits (migth as well do bearings too) can be had through various sources. if you're keen as a bean for some I can get a joker at work to source some for you. he's a bit of a 4x4 guru (and he's kicking himself for not buying this before you did hah).

seems to be doign a fair few landbruiser front end bits at the moment which are surprisingly cheap IMO.

CUNT! Not you cam. Electrical things.

Charge light back on after a cold start. Im thinking fucked diodes in the alternator. I get a 12v DC output and a 35v AC output from the alt battery terminal. No idea if thats normal or not since i dont own any other externally regulated stz.

Chur for parts offer, will be looking at rebuilding the front axle after Christmas. Until then ill put up with a bit of clunking and massive amounts of diff oil leakage.

ballah. i doubt anything will break, unless you're all super mega off road rough cunt spec, in the mean time :)

also, my criz has/does give me all sorts of electrical faggotry regarding the alternator and regulator. still haven't got to the bottom of it with multiple units, new parts, checking of wiring, and rebuilding and triple checking of alternators. they're essentially the same bits. i used shit off my dad's old rn41 one time to get me to welly and back hah. the only reason i haven't (yet) updated to a generic internally regulated alternator is because my car doesn't have a charge light, instead it uses an ammeter. once I can be bothered fettling the wiring to keep this setup i'll be using a much better alternator. I would suggest you do similar as the whole setup on these is just outdated old muck.

also slam me a bell if/when you're ken for front end steez. mint. also slam a chinky airlocker in the back for max win.

Bell would rage with jealousy if i slammed an air locker and mud 33's on that thing.

Will re-do the alternator to battery wiring tomorrow as its all corroded and not up to my standards. Then i can look at ripping the alternator off and changing things. The regulator is much better than the old one so at least i AM making improvements.

Also the tacho, temp and fuel gauges are all piss poor inaccurate lumps of excrement. Im hoping this is to do with wonky voltage issues. Even the stereo which is also a lump of excrement seems to be taking offence yet battery voltage is above 11 so i would expect it to run better than it does. With dwell and injector dead time compensation, the wagon will idle smooth right down to 9v

Ok ive been poking this thing all morning and im still fucking mystified. Took the alternator off and attempted to strip it down, 2 of the casing bolts were solid i didnt get any further than that. Put it back together and still wouldnt charge.

So i got the multi-meter out and prodded various things. Was checking for good grounds and such. I was fumbling with some wires when i heard a click, so i tried starting it and it charged great. I re-fucked around with those wires hoping to get it to die again but no luck.

Of the 3 terminals on the back of the alternator labeled E, N and F, the F terminal receives voltage from the regulator as you would expect to energize the windings. The N terminal im assuming is the ground for the windings which the regulator uses to control voltage output, this was showing about 6volts when it was charging. The E terminal doesnt really seem to do anything at all - doesnt make a difference if its connected or not.

I dont think its a diode problem anymore since the alternator is clearly capable of producing a good output. Also diodes dont generally tend to fix themselves overnight. It cant be a regulator problem since ive tried 2 of them now.

My thoughts are a dodgy relay or wiring problem somewhere but fuck knows where. When it wasnt charging, you could unplug the regulator with no noises or any reaction. After it started charging again, there was definitely current flowing to/through the reg as unplugging resulted in a little arc in the plug contacts.

f is field

e is earth

n is relay control bit, 6v is fine.

unplug 3pin plug, put 12v "+" to "F" and that will bypass reg.

start up, not reving too much, check voltage at batt. should be 13.8v and upwards as you rev it more.

not too much, as the reg has been bypassed. go over 15 volts, you will start blowing bulbs and boiling batterys.

if all good, turn everything electrical on full - wipers, lights on hi-beam, heater, etc.

run above test again, this will load test alt, wiring and belt slippage.

put volt meter between batt "+" and alt"+" under full electrical load, and rev up a bit.

no more than 0.5v

same from batt "-" and alternator body.

report back findings when done.

go.