Keltik's yerrow Beauty Hiluxatron

MACKAZ

AND THE RESULTS ARE IN!!!!!

unplug 3pin plug, put 12v "+" to "F" and that will bypass reg. Done

start up, not reving too much, check voltage at batt. should be 13.8v and upwards as you rev it more. Yup, 14v at 1,000rpm

not too much, as the reg has been bypassed. go over 15 volts, you will start blowing bulbs and boiling batterys.

if all good, turn everything electrical on full - wipers, lights on hi-beam, heater, etc.

run above test again, this will load test alt, wiring and belt slippage. Yup still about 13.5-14v

put volt meter between batt "+" and alt"+" under full electrical load, and rev up a bit. 0.5 to 1.3v depending on rpm

no more than 0.5v

same from batt "-" and alternator body. 0.2v constant

report back findings when done.

go.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok i think i might have found the problem here!

While i was rummaging through the fuse box trying to sort out my wonky fuel and temp gauges - i discovered one fuse was fuckin' hot. Turns out that was the 'Engine' fuse which sends power to the coil and of course, voltage regulator!

Popped the fuse out, fired it up and it ran like the nasty sack of shit ive come to despise. Cleaned contacts - put fuse back in and it ran nicely again. The fuse isnt as hot as before but its still rather warm so will clean up the contacts properly today and check all of the connections behind the fuse panel.

Then i can get back to trying to figure out why my gauges have decided to be all lies. Im 99% sure its a shit ground somewhere under the dash so will just rip most of the dash out today and tidy up as much as possible.

• 1 month later...

Trying to decide what to do with this thing in the new year. Once my wagon is finished - i cant see me driving it very often.

Considering selling and picking up a EA81 coupe - saw one today and swooned. Or just have one car for a while, yeah probably that.