l20b fouling plugs

Brock-Lee

yuh, but with these same plugs in it it was running perfectly, then suddenly it wasnt, I wanna figure out what caused the problem.
Start a tech thread and I will do what I can to help

To clarify, It was running perfectly and then overnight it ran like a bag of sweaty ass.

I replaced a perished section of fuel hose and cleaned out the carb. Replaced the cap rotor condensor plugs and leads.

Checked the timing and compression. Checked the points gap, had to file a "lump" off one of the contact pads with a points file and then reset the gap to factory settings between 18-25 thou.

Car ran perfectly for about a week then it gradually got worse and worse till the point where it was undriveable again.

Now I have to clean off the plugs(using a wire brush) before it will run and within 200m of driving it has returned to running like poo again.

Help would be greatly appreciated

also, screw the idle enrichment needle right out, and take it off the carb (just be careful not to lose the spring if it has one). I could never get the 124 to idle worth a damn and had some similar fouling issues when I had the original solex carb on it - i took the needle out and found it was bent! heck knows how it happened. Then I put a weber on it off one of my 2L motors and now it goes sweet/idles/starts easy enough.

Does it foul the same plugs over and over - ie number 5 mainly and number 1 or 2 every so often??

I say recheck that the distributor shaft does not have play in it - it took me nearly a month of fucking around including lending my car to Unka Jake for a weekend while it was fucked to figure out that it was a worn distributor shaft problem on mine.. exactly the same symptom as you describe (well the local sparky and an oscilloscope figured it out - not me)

it is an l20b which is a four cylinder. It fouls all the plugs over and over but mainly number 3. I am pretty sure it is a fueling issue, will borrow dylans carb and see if that sorts it out

Oh OK - still reckon check your distributor bushes - tis so simple to do - put the points rubbing block at the top of the distriibutor cam and then wiggle the rotor firmly left and right and check if the points gap opens/closes - if you can see it move with your eye - I'm pretty sure it is fucked..