Truenotch's BEAMS AE86 racecar discussion

Truenotch

Not enough coolant to the back of the engine?

It's possible.

The gauge was reading normal (sender is at the back of the head) and it didn't boil or anything. I would have expected the head gasket to blow before it got hot enough to melt one piston though...

There are a couple of things that I've noticed are wrong since pulling it apart:

- The radiator cap wasn't holding pressure - could have lead to cooling issues.

- The alternator wiring had caught something and snapped off the charge/exciter circuit and the main positive power terminal - which may have shorted to the body and spazzed the injectors for a second.

Apart from that it seems pretty kosher.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

- The alternator wiring had caught something and snapped off the charge/exciter circuit and the main positive power terminal - which may have shorted to the body and spazzed the injectors for a second.

aren't links quite sensitive to having a lush power supply? possible it was the link that spazzed and leaned out?

Has the coolent inlet and oultet locations on the engine been modified from standard. (ie the rear return plumbed of the front?) I dono iv just heard debatable advice that it can do naughty things to 4 if this is done to FWD - RWD engines.

The cooling is set up the same as the old gen3 FWD engine.

aren't links quite sensitive to having a lush power supply? possible it was the link that spazzed and leaned out?

They won't run with less than a certain amount of voltage, but that should kill the spark as well? I've had the charge light wire die before and the car ran sweet until you gave it some load - then it would struggle, splutter and stop. Having not had that happen at high RPM or load before, I'm not too sure what the effect could be... It makes sense provided the fuel pump stopped before the ecu eh?

It's broken 3 wires off the alternator and my battery no longer stores any charge (hadn't got round to buying a new one), so a sudden loss of voltage could have slowed the fuel pump but continued sparking for a short while after = expensive bbq...

• 4 weeks later...
/mind asplode

You put your gen 3 motor back in?

Good work on getting it running again!

Found another beams for reasonable coin, bought it and inserted. It lost power on the dyno from not being as good as "the" beams... So the plan is still to rebuild the dead one (and add a few bits). It's still a lot of fun and does skids.

Also, we've always dyno'd my car in 3rd gear on the rolling road (as opposed to 4th that most tuners use), so all of my readings have been low. I'll get him to do a pull in 4th next time - then the figures will more more comparable with other dynos.

Slammed the front by 30mm yesterday because a few of us were bored. It looks a lot cooler with a little bit of tuck, but I'll have to pull in more caster and cut the flares/bumper to make it work. The rear shock mounts are going to need a bit of massaging to allow the heights to be balanced and the 4-link needs to be played with to get the pinion angle set right... Unsure if I'll bother doing this before the next round of racing, but am quite keen to have it lower.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know what's available in the way of aftermarket pistons for Beams 3SGE's? I just pulled my old engine apart and all 4 of the pistons are rooted from detonation, which sucks cause I wanted to use them for the next incarnation engine.

I'm going to price up new replacement pistons from Toyota tomorrow, but don't like the chances of them being cheap. Even standard-spec aftermarkets will be worth looking into if they're available - will get more compression by planing the head.

May also look into fitting the Gen3 pistons that are sitting on my bench but will need to do compression calculations and make sure they will clear the valves.

Also, if anyone has (or knows of) any rogue beams pistons that aren't being used then they can send a message my way. I think I only need one (have another set of 3 that are ok) but would prefer a set if possible.

Edit: Beaten

I would guess manuals different? the extra compression in the would come from the pistion, and possibly bigger cutouts for the bigger valves.

I would advise against planing the head on an engine like this too much as it really effects squish and combustion characteristics negatively. Oh and don't use Gen 3 pistons!

I don't really know any aftermarket pistons for a N/A Beams that don't cost moon beams. There used to be toms or tomi that did a set but the price was crazy.

Pretty much the best/only option is Glenns piston and rod combo. Gives you a better rod ratio for revs, and its a proven package. Will set you back a couple grand, but any piston/rod combo thats any good will