carb turbo setup

dylan

I have been planning a blow through turbo setup for the a15 in my datsun. The hardest part would be the exhaust manifold. Then you would need a bigger fuel pump and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator that is for carby's. then you gotta run oil lines from the oil press sender and back into the sump above the oil level in the sump to stop it from frothing. also you wil probly have to run water lines too and from the turbo (some dont, most do). I am goin to blow through a small intercooler to a custom plenum and two su carbs. tuning the carbs and getting them balanced etc will be a lil difficult but it will be a fuckin fun lil project.

edit: also you have to lock the dizzy and I think you are supposed to remove vaccum advance

just run a draw through setup with a 2inch su carb on like a standy bfmr turbo or something. will be all good and run a oil line to it water lines are overrated. just make a crossover pipe. so would be mean.

draw through it goes carb then turbo then engine. so you are sucking fuel through the carb. you have to have a carbon sealed turbo and you cant runa blow off valve or intercooler.

blow through goes turbo carb engine. you just blow through the carbs.

suck/drawthrough is very easy to do and can give very good results on low boost. althogh with out an intercooler you can run into detonation problems quite fast. you can build a real easy water injection setup so you cool intake charge and it will go harder for longer

Another point to note is most/all the people on here who have done a Carb Turbo have later wish they hadn't bothered and had gone EFi right from the start. There's always compromises with a Carb Turbo setup and generally it's not really considered worth the bother.

Yip I've gone EFI although only cause its better not because I hated the carb setup. I think most of the problems that people have is finding someone to tune it. I managed to fluke jetting mine right so I was happy.

you used the 32/36 webber didnt you? how did you go about doing the jets on it

cheeRS

Just messed with them till it drove smooth. I have heaps of carbs ranging from 1300gt to xf falcon ones so I had quite a selection of jets. I used a 1.8 main in the primary and a 2.2 main in the secondary. Cant remember the air correctors I think it was 1.6 primary and 1.8 secondary.

Another point to note is most/all the people on here who have done a Carb Turbo have later wish they hadn't bothered and had gone EFi right from the start.

Not really, if you do the setup right then there is no reason to go EFI at all.

As above though, read a whole lot more on the information thats out there rather than just jumping in and assuming it'll be easy. There is a bit of playing around with float vents and things like that to keep your fueling right but a decent reliable setup is very achieveable. I used my 5K-T as a daily for a year with no troubles

if you're a turbo noob just run a draw through carby turbo setup with a 2 inch su. will be all good. once you've decided its not enough grunt just go grab a mitsi tbi setup and run that intercooled it would be much easier to just make a adapter plate then to fuck around with injector bosses and new manifolds and shit.

if you're a turbo noob just run a draw through carby turbo setup with a 2 inch su. will be all good. once you've decided its not enough grunt just go grab a mitsi tbi setup and run that intercooled it would be much easier to just make a adapter plate then to fuck around with injector bosses and new manifolds and shit.

Im intreged by the whole tbi adapter etc? any more info would it work with say sr18di or a falcon

tb?

but anyways back to the topic at hand read a whold bunch more if your gona attempt this yourself, handy with a welder? search the internets lol turbosport has quite a few carb turbo setups, im assuming if you run a webber 32/36 you could adjust it like primary for idle etc and use bigger jets on the secondary?

cant see why it wouldnt work with falcon etc. but for simple as install id just use a full starion loom and sensors and ecu. starion turbo etc. / sigma / 2l turbo ex lancer. get fuels old setup when he goes twincam.

im assuming if you run a webber 32/36 you could adjust it like primary for idle etc and use bigger jets on the secondary?

In theory that's what you would think but a turbo engine still makes boost at low throttle possitions so the primary needs to be able to keep up. A blow through carbi turbo will be a bit rich off boost I found with mine that it liked to foul the plugs on long open road trips with a lot of cruising. That could be stopped by boosting for a bit every few kms though.

Another point to note is most/all the people on here who have done a Carb Turbo have later wish they hadn't bothered and had gone EFi right from the start. There's always compromises with a Carb Turbo setup and generally it's not really considered worth the bother.

prolly if you did a search you would find me on every thread about carb turbo engines and telling them to efi it first.. lol

Not gonna this time! Go man blow through carb ftw /nah

if ya gonna carb turbo, then do it cheap and nasty with a suck through setup. Hoon it around for a bit then work out how to EFi it.