Pog’s X1/9

Muzzie

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got quite a good drawing of how it's done in one of Phil Irving's books. I'll photograph it and post it tomorrow.

Basically you space the pressure plate out about half an inch or less and fit a second friction plate - with the bosses thinned on both. And a plain steel plate driven by the pressure plate spacers goes in between. i was told that a circular saw blade is a good starting point for the plain plate.

• Like 1

As promised. I'd think the pressure plate spacers would be the thickness of the extra friction plate plus the plain steel plus maybe .020-.040in.

It'd be a case of mocking it up on the bench to see if the release mech fits or if the bellhousing needs spacing.

twin plate clutch.JPG

• Like 1

While you're faffing around in the passenger side, lube the bloody cables to the bonnet and boot releases. they were so stiff on ours it was a right pain. And i believe the next owner actually broke one of the levers. Like the door catch, shit die cast pot metal.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did sortof ease it in there, the header wrap had obviously never been run and started smoking like anything when I first got it running, then the idle kept creeping up when it got warm so I did a rough carb balance. Then I did a gentle(ish) run to see how it felt.

Then I thought fuck it, I cant see why it wouldn't take it like it always had.... and it did. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 01/04/2024 at 18:08, ThePog said:

. @h4nd had given me a dose of RTFM

Oh man. I thought I was commiserating that the bastards had hidden the salient deets. Apparently I've also failed (passed?) my autism test. lol.

Not at all, it was just a timely reminder for me not to make assumptions about shit that I have only the flakiest knowledge of and that I should actually pay attention to the details :-)

• 3 weeks later...