Track rubber

Guest Cap'n Morgan

I have eagle F1's currently, they do heat up pretty quick on the track, but it didnt feel like they overheated. I think in a heavier & more powerful car this would be an issue (have friends with S14 tuuuurbs, evo4, wrx, who i raced with all on GS-D3's as well at taupo - they found they were starting to overheat near the end of the session of 7+ laps). On a much lighter car like the zepgem, this would be far less of an issue i think.

Have done 3 trackdays on them now, still heaps of tread left.. Totally awesome rubber for road driving though, and in the wet not much else can really compare. Plus the tread pattern looks the biz

sunday cup = mazda demios. dunno about circuit but for road dunlop formula R's pwn me so hard. up on 2 wheels in the wet etc

Fully thought Sunday cup as well.... rofl.

The old Formula R's (the squiggle ones) were actually pretty mean in the wet, I had the opportunity to pedal my Sud around Manny with borrowed Formula R's... was epic.

Going to look seriously at semi's for Ronny I think, cutting up spendy road tyres isn't high on list of priorities.

So GSD3's could possibly get owned by a heavy car like a z30 soarer?

What tyres apart from semi's wont melt under pressure?

yeah i would imagine so on track, they would be great for the road though.

Get another set of rims, then get some new/second hand semis. They are fucking mean, real stiff sidewalls etc so even if they are a bit balloon the turn in response is lightening. Plus you dont want to kill a good set of semis by continually heat cycling them with rude road driving. Save it for the track :lol: where they will be most useful

ok time for tyre man cam to have a turn. Bridgestone does a tyre - potenza G03 pole position. i think they only make them for 17" and bigger, so $300 each +. they are a soft compound road tyre but are pretty much destined for the track. forget about eagle f1, toyo, blah blah. they dont compare shit to these. they have the tankest fucken sidewall ever. allmost like a run-flat tyre. they are the hardest tyres i have ever tried to put on a rim. (put some 18"s on some rims this week, took 3 of us to get them on.)

also, bridgestone had a demonstration track day for its tyres. same car, same sets of rims. there was a time sheet of what each tyre was acheiving etc etc. went from potenza g3's, RE001's, G03's. then it compared to a semi slick track tyre. G03's were matching those times lap after lap. go figure.

They would probably be ok if you DON'T want brake cooling or have a ducted braking system :lol:

Also, whichever choice you make, I would look into filling your tyres with nitrogen if you are pushing tyres hard as they will maintain more stable pressures (Nitrogen's static pressure changes very little relative to temperature, at least compared to compressed air)

Oldpicnobonnet.jpg

These are the set of 6.5 x 15" rims I have in the shed, what you think in black powdercoat?

Slicks are most definitely NOT a waste of time.

Road use = road tires.

Track use = track tires.

At the trackdays I've been to, there was an altezza there which did.... about as well as you'd think an altezza would go, in the bottom 1/3rd of the pack or so.

Then he came back next time with no other mods but coilovers and slicks, and came 3rd. Ahead of many 'superior' cars. :o

I've found that I tend to overheat road tires, after 4-5 laps, that was with 205/50/15. Wider rubber would have been advantageous, the extra surface area helps with cooling.

I have yet to try some semis/slicks, I dont know if I can justify buying a set that are probably going to go hard before I get to use them much, only go to trackdays once or twice a year.

Also, whichever choice you make, I would look into filling your tyres with nitrogen if you are pushing tyres hard as they will maintain more stable pressures (Nitrogen's static pressure changes very little relative to temperature, at least compared to compressed air)

you are right on there. nitrogen = good shit. my mate uses them in his drift car on the track and he loves it. costs $5 per tyre.