Car keeps running when I turn the key off..

Scrubb

more problems with this thing! You fix one thing and more problems come up!

Now its over running when I turn it off and makes loud clunking kinda noises and shakes the whole car..

It started happening when I increased the idle speed.. was idling at around 500rpm and I put it up to aroun 900 or something and it was doing it so I thought it was because it was too high and put it down to about 700rpm (I think thats where it should be)

Also the choke isnt working so when its cold it dies almost everytime I put it into neutral and runs like a rotary until it warms up.. sux in traffic! only just got the carb pulled apart and is meant to be 'fixed' but I'm not entirely sure its running how it should.. any ideas?

with the car running on, its generally considered to be carbon buildup in the head, it gets hot enough to to ignite idle fuel and runs on for a few seconds. It could be related to the carb thing, because fuel is flowing more freely it has more fuel at idle or something

not much you can do about dying at idle though, just keep your foor on the gas until its warmed up, or you need some way to get warm air into the motor until its warm

Yeah, the choke worked before it had work done on it lol

When everything is broken it reliable and runs nice, as soon as you start fixing things EVERYTHING decides to pack a sad.. are all mitsi's like this or just mine? lol

Had the head reconditioned and carb pulled apart and cleaned.. but it never did it for a long time after that and never did it before it had this work done. My uncle just put carb back and got the car 'going' so yea could be too lean?

The timing was done when it got warrant but I havent checked it myself.. it didnt do it ONCE when the idle was really low..

Yeah most likely too low an octane or incorrect ignition timing. I'm not sure if that carb uses a fuel cut off solenoid like my old '89 Galant did.

Are you sure you adjusted the idle screw and not the fuel mix screw?

dont mean to threadjack but mines doing exactly the same, wont start first go anymore with/without the choke and shudders to a stop when you turn it off. the only difference in mine is that recently i started running it on a higher octane rather than 91. Dont know if leanness would do it then. Havent touched anything else engine wise.

keen to know.

yeah stop it in gear lol, mine does it if ive been for a thrash and then turn it off.High idle will make it run on, incorrect valve gap will do it too, also bad timing.I run 98 all the time its not to bad, as soon as i put 96 in there shes a run on queen.

I've always used 91 and never had any problems.. a bit confused why it would just start randomly after I increased the idle and then I put the idle down and it still does it.. weird..

We'll see hat happens when it gets some fresh fuel in it..

dont mean to threadjack but mines doing exactly the same, wont start first go anymore with/without the choke and shudders to a stop when you turn it off. the only difference in mine is that recently i started running it on a higher octane rather than 91. Dont know if leanness would do it then. Havent touched anything else engine wise.

keen to know.

If it is 'running on' after you switch the ignition off you might need to do a water de-coke. Nasty but OK on a tired motor if you are careful.

First thing to try is to thrash the shit out of it for 20 mins - get it red hot and perhaps the carbon will burn off.

If it is not running on then ignore all the above.

Guest sexychevette

will be sum sort of preignition shizzle. higher octane shud help but prob sum shit in their is stayin hot (ie carbon build up or a fuckd exhastvalve) which is igniting fuel instead of ur spark plugs. or maybe im completly wrong

I've always used 91 and never had any problems.. a bit confused why it would just start randomly after I increased the idle and then I put the idle down and it still does it.. weird..

We'll see hat happens when it gets some fresh fuel in it..

Running 91 is false economy dude, sure it's cheaper at the pump (by only a few cents) but the engine will run like complete shit compared to 95 or 98 with the ignition timed to take advantage of the higher octane fuel.

91 has a quick flash point, ie it ignites a whole heap easier and faster than 95 or 98 - something in the combustion chamber (whether it be carbon build up, too hot a spark plug, hot exhaust valve due to being stuck open or incorrectly set tappets) is igniting the fuel (other than the spark plug sparking itself). This in turn keeps the engine running, pumping the fuel pump, drawing fuel back into the cylinder (igniting on something other than a spark) - it's basically running like a Diesel engine!

Adjusting the idle screw could have richened up the mixture (causing excess carbon build up), or you could have adjusted the fuel mixture screw instead of the idle screw (it happens). Do you know what the timing was set at? It should be around 5deg BTDC if running on 91, but if you run on 95 or 98 you should be able to adjust it higher. If the timing is too far retarded, the engine runs hotter than usual causing hot spots.

If the tappets on the exhaust valve are too tight not allowing the exhaust valve to sit on the valve seat for long enough to dissapate heat, the hot exhaust valve could be igniting the fuel

There are many factors which can cause running on, I suggest you run it on 95/98, get the ignition timing set properly, run NGK BP7ES plugs and check the valve clearances (should be 0.15mm inlet, 0.25mm exhaust when hot).

Hope that helps