Broken Bolt

Alistair

Im sure this has been done before, but im doing it again. Snapped a dumb bolt i was putting in for the engine mount on driver side, m12x50 1.5 thread pitch i belive.

Now heres where it gets gay. I drilled it out to get out with bolt extractor. And the focking extractor broke inside there. GRR. Heniously pissed off as i was so close to getting it into the corona.

All i have is gheylord cordless 18v drill with doesnt have the goods to sit there and drill it out. So whats my options. Send it to someone? Anyone on the shore that can help? I dont really want to take everything off it to transport it but if i have to so be it. Find a corded drill and go at it?

Pretty gutted at this stage so all help welcome. Can take pic of said bolt if needed.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh, crap.

you could try popping the screw extracter part out, as they're designed to come out pretty easy one way, and be tight as fuck the other way.

or, get a carbide tipped drill bit. cos those screw extracter peices are made of hardened steel.

possible, although im not sure how well you'll get on with welding to the extractor part, so would need to smash that out of the way first, then weld to the bolt.

the extractor might also shatter depending on how big it is, hammer + pin punch or sumthing

if a few taps with mr centerpunch around clockwise doesnt get the extractor out, give up and take the block out. trying to use carbide/cobalt drills/gas torches etc in position just dulls enthusiasm for this shit, then you end up having to pull it anyway and loseing a full day you could have been drunk in.

centerpunch works suprisingly well

• Like 1

oh snap

had this problem a few weeks back. ended up drilling out and using helicoil. hand drills take forever though, gutting you can't put the engine in a press haha.

those ezy outs = so gay. ALWAYS break. tap it style ones are the meke. my old man's got a set he got before he even started his apprenticeship. still so good

This happened to me on an intake manifold. Had to dremmel out the bolt around the broken off remover bit. Then had to helicoil it. An absouloute pain of a job. But it happens. eke_zetec_RWD's idea with the mig FTW!!. Just dont weld the bolt to the block :lol: